Bootloader problems and can't set fuses (328p)

Hi everybody,

Currently working on an issue with a "bricked" Arduino Ethernet. I wanted to burn a bootloader on there with the "Arduino as ISP" function and AVRdude, and that worked well with a new-out-of-the-box-UNO. But when i tried it on my project, it wouldn't work.
My AVR line:

bin\avrdude -C bin\arduino.conf -p atmega328p -c arduino -PCOM5 -b 19200 -v -e -U flash:w:new_hexFiles\ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex

The error was: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
It appears that the signature read from the 328p is 0xffffff (Wrong i know).
I fixed that with adding the -F (Force) into the avrdude:

bin\avrdude -C bin\arduino.conf -p atmega328p -F -c arduino -PCOM5 -b 19200 -v -e -U flash:w:new_hexFiles\ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex

But, to bad! The following appeared: Verification error; content mismatch

A little searching online led me to the fuses. They currently read: lfuse = 0xff, hfuse= 0xff and efuse= 0x07 (Wrong again, i know).
Whenever i want to set them to another value they just won't take it, there set like that (Like, in stone or something).

i did unlock them with lock:w:0x3f:m but no succes...

Before i'm taking my board outside and use it for some target practice, who knows the answer on how to solve my issues?

A little background info: I did used this board once and wrote data to EEPROM to test its functionality...

Thanks in advance!
C-F-K

C-F-K:
The error was: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
It appears that the signature read from the 328p is 0xffffff (Wrong i know).

A signature of 0x000000 or 0xffffff is a wiring error (or bricked/dead chip). You programmer is seeing constant LOW or HIGH on the data line.

C-F-K:
I fixed that with adding the -F

No you didn't.

-F can't "fix" a wiring error or bad chip.

aha right...

Unfortunately the first things i check where the wires so that's all good, so your second option has me a little worried!

Iv'e check all the power supplies and what not's on the board, there all within specs.
So i guess there's not much left but to pray to the circuit board designer in the sky and load my rifle...

Thnx anyhow!

Maybe it's set so it needs an external clock.

fungus:
Maybe it's set so it needs an external clock.

It has an external 16MHz connected between PB7 and PB6, so that should work (or am I missing the concept of an external clock...?).

Hi

Do you have ceramic caps on the crystal as well, usually 22pf? Also decoupling caps of 0.1uF as near to the power pins as possible.

Until you get the correct signature reported not much else will work as it isn't in programming mode. If set up on a breadboard check the chip is pushed fully down.

Regards

Phil