bootloader takes ages to load

right, having finally worked out why my AVRISP was not working due to drivers problems and that i needed to tell windows7 to go F..... itself over checking and blocking drivers made by people not willing to give money away to microsoft, I am now burning the bootloader to my arduino board.

and i am still doing it !!!, this is taking minutes and minutes, is this normal ? I mean cmon why does everything with the arduino take so long ?

sparkylabs:
right, having finally worked out why my AVRISP was not working due to drivers problems and that i needed to tell windows7 to go F..... itself over checking and blocking drivers made by people not willing to give money away to microsoft, I am now burning the bootloader to my arduino board.

and i am still doing it !!!, this is taking minutes and minutes, is this normal ? I mean cmon why does everything with the arduino take so long ?

It's been a while (3-4 months) sense I've burned bootloaders, but I do recall it takes quite awhile depending on the programmer being used and the target chip being programmed. I noticed it especially on the larger AVR chips such as the 1284 and 1280 chips. While the actual bootloader code is small I think it verifies the complete flash memory size so it takes a while. At least that is my memory of the procedure.

Lefty

What type of AVRISP programmer is it?

If it's an AVRISPmkII type, then it may be the default programming clock speed stored in the programmers eeprom. It normally stores the last speed it was used at. You can force it to higher speed by using avrdude. The IDE does not set any speed, so you will need to use avrdude manually to set it. Use the -B option in avrdude. Once you set it back to higher speed it should retain that setting for the IDE to use.

avrdude -c avrisp2 -PCOM3 -pm328p -v -B 1

Note: depending on your programmer version it may be under -Pusb instead of -PCOMx port.

looks like I'm going to end up having to use atmel studio, are there any reliable tutorials out there ? (bearing in mind that even though I've "used" AS it's not exactly self explanatory). I'm also interested in burning bootloaders for different clock speeds in particular the internal 1-8MHz and hec 20MHz crystals :wink: