Bootloading atmega 168A-PU

hello,
I am trying to boatload my atmega 168A-PU using arduino as ISP like this method - http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard . i have an Atmega 328P-PU chip on my arduino board.

further in the arduino IDE i have selected the board as -Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328. i am able to upload the AVRISP sketch on to the arduino board... further when i try to burn bootloader on to my atmega 168 chip i get the error message

" avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check. ". how do i go about this?

Select a 168 based board and then try to burn a bootloader.

ok ill try.. do i need to upload the avrisp sketch if i change my board option?

Once the ArduinoISP sketch is uploaded and auto-reset is disabled you do not need to re-upload the sketch for any reason.

OK .. as said i have added a 120 ohm resistor between the reset pin and the 5 v supply.. i have selected the board as atmega nano/atmega 328... i uploaded the avrisp sketch. then i selected my board as - arduino diceimela ,Nano w /Atmega 168, and
selected burn bootloader>arduino as isp.

i get the following error message
" avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x11
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync "

as said i have added a 120 ohm resistor between the reset pin and the 5 v supply.. i have selected the board as atmega nano/atmega 328... i uploaded the avrisp sketch

Wrong order. Ensure the 120 ohm resistor is not connected. Select the board you will use as a programmer. Upload the ArduinoISP sketch. Connect the 120 ohm resistor between +5V and RESET. The board will now function as a programmer.

In addition, you will be well served by connecting an LED (with series resistor) to pin 9. A "heartbeat" should be present.

i did not get the heartbeat pattern.. i got this error

"avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check."

try to add the 168P signature to avrdude.txt, or modify the actual Atmega168 data

#------------------------------------------------------------

ATmega168

#------------------------------------------------------------

part
id = "m168";
desc = "ATMEGA168";
has_debugwire = yes;
flash_instr = 0xB6, 0x01, 0x11;
eeprom_instr = 0xBD, 0xF2, 0xBD, 0xE1, 0xBB, 0xCF, 0xB4, 0x00,
0xBE, 0x01, 0xB6, 0x01, 0xBC, 0x00, 0xBB, 0xBF,
0x99, 0xF9, 0xBB, 0xAF;
stk500_devcode = 0x86;

avr910_devcode = 0x;

signature = 0x1e 0x94 0x06;

to

signature = 0x1e 0x94 0x0b;

technodict:
i did not get the heartbeat pattern.. i got this error

this check."

the signature of my atmega 328 ( which is on my main arduino board) is 0x1e 0x95 0x0F.. and the signature of my atmega 168 ( the one to be bootloaded is 0x1e 0x94 0x0b .
the error message shows up
"avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check."

can there be any problem with the microcontroller? what else can i try to do?

i did not get the heartbeat pattern..

Re-upload the ArduinoISP sketch. If the heartbeat is not present, the ArduinoISP sketch is not running.

ok .. i have selected my board as Arduino Duemilanove w/ atmega328. uploaded the avrisp sketch. (Done uploading).
then i connect the 120 ohm resistor between the reset and 5v pins. then i go to burn bootloader..to boot-load my atmega168 chip. it shows -

this check."

i am using Ubuntu does that make any difference..??

I suggested connecting an LED to pin 9. Did you do that? Does it display a heartbeat? Does the heartbeat ever stop?

the signature of my atmega 168 ( the one to be bootloaded is 0x1e 0x94 0x0b .
the error message shows up: "avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F

If you're trying to burn a bootloader in a 168, and you're getting an error message that it's "expecting" a 328 signature, that means you didn't select the right "board" in the boards menu before you clicked the "burn bootloader" button.
The sequence should be: select "nano with 328", upload Arduino ISP, disable auto-reset, connect 168 board or chip, select (one of) the 168-based boards, "burn bootloader."

OK thank you all guys.. i followed the procedure in Windows.. got the bootloader uploaded.. doesn't works in Ubuntu Linux though..any possible reason?

Hello, I am also trying to bootload into the Atmega 168 A-PU , and I get the invalid device signature error. How did you get over that error? Please help.

Hi! I also have the same problem...