Bootloading, ATMEGA and inexpirience.

Hey kids

I just got this little machine - a Freetronics Eleven - and am now in the process of making my first project (except for the 4-line flashing light thang), a morse code keyboard.

Although I'm not new to electrickery - I fix valve radios and amps, I have my ham radio licence, etc - I am quite confused at this ATMEGA168 IC that this project incorporates. I've found a source for them on ebay, about $10 each, and have read that before I can stick them in my 'eleven (a bit like an Uno, but with more features), I need to 'bootload' them, and that's the problem. All the info on bootloading that I've read so far seems quite confusing, so could someone explain to me how I'd go about bootloading this IC.

thanks.

Quejai: I've found a source for them on ebay, about $10 each

Too expensive. Keep shopping.

I need to 'bootload' them, and that's the problem

Not a problem. Buy them with a bootloader already installed... http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10524

Delicious - thanks!

I've found a source for them on ebay, about $10 each

Too expensive. Keep shopping.

The '$' sign is not unique to the US. Since he's talking about a device manufactured and sold in Australia and since he lives in Australia I suspect that he is also quoting the price in Australian dollars. On the other hand it still sounds pretty expensive.

Don