Bootloading ATmega-PU Access is denied.

I am trying to bootload an ATmega328-PU, and I got an error from Avrdude, and found this post on how to fix it:

When trying to modify the file, my file editor (notepad) says "Access is denied"

How would I fix this?

Run Notepad as Administrator.

That didn't work, but creating a copy and renaming it to 'avrdude.conf' worked for me.

But now I'm getting this error:

Yikes!  Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check-

I restarted the IDE, and I have wired everything according to http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard, (the 16 mHz external clock version)and I'm still getting the error.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

The usual culprit is wiring. Given what you are trying to do it is also possible that you did not correctly modify avrdude.conf. The only way to diagnose the problem is to enable verbose output.

right before the error, it prints

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000

what would this indicate?

Wiring or clocking for the target.

I've switched out the crystal, and I've checked my wiring three times. The problem still pops up. Does this mean that something is broken? I've tested the arduino UNO, and it works, but what about the ATmega on the breadboard?

sciencekid:
Does this mean that something is broken?

That is possibility.

What have you done with the target?

I've tested the arduino UNO, and it works, but what about the ATmega on the breadboard?

Given the evidence you've presented either wiring or clocking are still the most likely culprits.

Just put it on a breadboard, and wired it according to http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard (w/ 16mhz external clock)

How did you disable auto-reset on your Arduino?

I used a 10uF compacitor between power and ground.

Power and ground?

sorry, I meant reset and ground

It could be your breadboard.

Try pulling your chip out and place it on another spot on the breadboard, or on another breadboard

I just noticed that I forgot to plug in the power and ground wires, and when I plugged them into my breadboard, I got a different error

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x15

And then, it changed back to the previous device signature error. Any ideas as to what is happening here?

Post the entire output from an upload attempt.

ArduinoISP allows for three status LEDs on pins 7, 8, and 9. For the sake of maintaining your sanity I suggest you add them so you know that ArduinoISP is loaded and your reset disable is working . At least add one to pin 9 which will fade up/down when you have ArduinoISP loaded.