Bootloading / Programming Issue with ATMEGA328P-AU

Hey All,

I created an Arduino clone that is essentially an Arduino Pro Mini 3.3V / 8Mhz. When I go to bootload the Arduino Fio or Pro Mini 3.3V bootloader with a USBtinyISP programmer (from Adafruit), I get the following error:

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

The chip is an ATMEGA328P-AU TQFP-32 surface mount package. I get the same error when I try to upload a simple blink sketch using the programmer. There no issues bootloading/programming my Duemilanove and 328P DIP I have on a breadboard using this USBtinyISP programmer.

I have tried the following to remedy the situation:

-Check my design files
-Check for shorts/solder bridges
-Connections
-Programmer drivers
-Check to see if MISO and MOSI are reversed
-Grounding and power

If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-toughsled

Check your 8 MHz crystal and load capacitors. Lately there has been a rash of people using capacitors much larger than 22 pF and getting no clock.

@johnwasser
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I'm using a resonator that has built-in load caps:

MuRata Part No. CSTLS8M00G53-B0

Looking at the spec sheet, the resonator has a built-in load capacitance of 15pF. Do you think this could be the issue?

Thanks.

A resonator shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have a scope to see if the oscillator is actually running? You'll likely need a 10x probe.

Do you have a schematic of your build?

@perhof

It is essentially an arduino mini minus the power supply circuitry.

I'm guessing the problem was that I fried the chip during the soldering process. I re-soldered a new board at a lower temp (~625 deg w/1/16" shovel tip) and was able to bootload and program.