Bootloading with 1284p.

Dear Community,

i am testing with a ATmega1284p.

Everything works fine, via ISP.

Some Minutes ago, I tried to connect a Serial-Usb Converter from Sparkfun FT232RL to the mcu.

Modified the makefile of a suiting Bootloader (modified Sanguino644p) to 20Mhz (that crystal I am using)....

AVR_FREQ   = 20000000L

Compiled, then burnd into mcu.

No errors.

I can't upload via Upload Sketch in IDE... TXD blinks 3 times then i get avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00.

I can't explain why, because burning bootloader via isp is done fine, uploading sketches via isp is done fine....

Maybe i got an wireing issue....

VCC > VCC GND > GND TXD > RXD RXD > TXD DTR > Reset CTS > MISO

I've also changed back my isp programmer to upload.using=bootloader in preferences.txt.

So, actually: 1. right serial-port is selected. 2. IDE should upload via bootloader 3. Speed of crystal is compiled into bootloader 4. modified bootloader sits on mcu 5. ISP is working in all aspects.

But, txd blinks, then i get that error.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

If i change boards.txt to upload.protocol=arduino instead of

upload.protocol=stk500

the same happens.

Seems, that the bootloader isn't "booting"....

How to verify....? What is the next step to check?

Greetings ChrisS

perhaps autoreset isn’t working with the adapter? can you try resetting it right before it uploads (but after it compiles, yah, pita, i know, they should have an optional pause there or something)?

Adtapter has a DTR Pin, i thought thats the autoreset.....

is that wrong?

Greetings ChrisS

I do not know, can you try manual reset?

Already done…

Nothing different is happen…

Tested around some other things…

Tested if DTR is working…
1284p is resetting right before Uploading sketch…
Hangs on “Uploading to IO Board…”

Then nothing … stays (hangs)…

Maybe some signal/speed/quality issues on TXD RXD…

i hopefully get some info from a helper, whos supporting me in bootloader problems …

Maybe i will try other bootloadermods… but i don’t know any more…

644p Sanguino mod of mdmetzle,
and special bootloaders of MarkS.

Maybe there are some more 1284p to test…
but i think i got a signal/speed/quality problem here…

Maybe i should lern how to hack bootloaders by myself…
but i think it is not the easiest thing on arduino… maybe i only need some more infos about this…

Greetings
ChrisS

shoot, you changed the crystal,

try multiplying the baud rate by 20/16 in boards.txt

Ok, i ve made it... but nothing different at all...

hangs on "Upload to I/O Board..." ...

Stay tuned... ^^

Greetings ChrisS

so there isn't a "standard" bootloader for the 1284p? You might try it with the unmodified one.

I'm curious why, if you have figured out isp programming, why would you carry around a bootloader?

If you show me a working 1284p standard bootloader for 1284p with 20Mhz crystal i will be happy and try that....

Possible that the "Standard" Sanguino 644 works... thats the attempt of mdmetzle...

• Because usage of an Programmer is not such comfortable as simple as USB usage... you have to got an isp programmer also... you're right, i am able to use the 1284p with isp programmer... it's nice... it's fast... but i don't like half done things...

simply i want to get something work, what is a standard. many people have that got working too in the past.

i think soldering a ft232rl on PCB is the better way as "you have to buy a isp Programmer" in developement philosophie.

Sure, programmer is reusable, but have a look at 75% of the arduinos... usb is arduino... ONLY isp, seems it isn't.

Serial / COM RS232 is dead on modern PCs / MACs/ etc....

I want to lern, how that things work... i thought, it has to be possible to get an 1284p working too... WITH USB...

All that, "why you want to build another Hardware, try UNO" is a thing of phylosophy and developement destination.

Arduino is prototyping... i do prototyping... and my first goal is a working 1284p.

Thought that getting USB working was easier... Communication with mcu is possible and working... Serial.prints working... so, i can't understand really, that uploading is impossible at the moment....

Greetings ChrisS

oh, well in that case, don't leave it half done by any means. The fuses are probably a bit different so you might start there.

edit: looks like you've been looking for a solution for a while. Have you experimented @16mhz to eliminate some variables?

Pfhu.... don't recognised your post.

Yes, everyhing is working well on 16Mhz.

Curious, i am not able to get it work on 20Mhz.

Tried many bootloaders, also premade for 20Mhz... but it isn't working in my setup.

Stopped trying it at the moment, but i will start in some weeks again.

Greetings ChrisS