Bootstrap program

I have loaded a program with 80% usage and 500 dram memory remaining. The uno stopped working. If I hit the reset the pin 13 led wont blink. My computer wont download to it because the USB port 12 wont open.

Have I corrupted the bootstrap program?

Sketch uses 11,394 bytes (35%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes. Global variables use 1,544 bytes (75%) of dynamic memory, leaving 504 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes. Low memory available, stability problems may occur.

SRAM, not DRAM.

Does your sketch output on DO, D1? That can interfere with bootloader starting up. Press & hold Reset, release it when IDE shows "compiled xxx of 32xxx bytes" Can be easier to get timing right if select File:Preferences and enable Verbose outputs.

Thanks for the reply I have nothing on D0,D1 I followed your instructions

I got reply

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\plloyd\arduino-1.6.4\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM12 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM12": Access is denied.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Does this help or is board gone.

Check if correct port is selected in Arduino IDE and/or in Windows device manager if COM12 exists.

The port is correct I looked it up under Tools /Port.

Question:Is there a way I can delete the program and bring the board back to the original condition without using the IDE software? eg short two pins together or to ground a pin.

Check the port in the Device Manager and also driver and access rights. If you are sure that the port is OK, you can try loop-back test:http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0 .

Question:Is there a way I can delete the program and bring the board back to the original condition without using the IDE software? eg short two pins together or to ground a pin.

Yes there is way: to load original SW, but it differs from what you have on mind. There is no such feature like short two pins. You have to focus to the message that access is denied to the port. Why? If everything related to OS is OK then try loop-back test. If it works firmware in USB/serial part should be OK, then it could be a problem with the bootloader (led L should blink 3x fast immediately after each reset). You had wrote that L won't blink so maybe this is the problem but it is not in relationship to the error message in the reply #2, I think.