Bought two Diecimila, Only one is working

Hi. First of all, I’m looking forward to spend some time with all of you and to hear about all the amazing things you do with the Arduino board.

I am a Novice and dont know alot about electronics so bear with me :slight_smile:

As the topic says, I bought two Arduino boards. One of them are working perfect but the other one… I think it may be broken or something:

When i plug it in (USB) it is being assigned to COM5 (the other one gets COM4). Green power light works.
TX and RX lamps also blink a few times when connected to USB.

But when trying to transfer data to card I get:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Anyone got a clue?

bump :slight_smile:

The LED (pin 13) does not blink (the other card did)

I haven’t used arduino on the windows platform, so this is just a wild guess. Did you select the right serial port in the arduino IDE?

If you press the reset button on the non-working board, does the LED on pin 13 (labelled “L”) blink at all? Is the power jumper on the two pins closest to the USB connector? If you swap the ATmega168’s between the boards, what happens?

Hi. I tried to swap the ATmega168 chip and then it worked. So it looks like one of the chips are not working.

With the non-working chip, what does the LED on pin 13 do when you reset the board?

it does nothing. no blink, nada… :slight_smile:

Hmm, sounds like you got a bad chip (maybe it slipped out without a bootloader). I’d contact the distributor you bought it from and get it replaced.