Brand-new Mega2560, no com connection

Help please.
I received my Mega2560 R2 about an hour ago, to extend the capabilities of my Uno and iDuino boards.

Plugged-in the USB lead that I’ve been using with the Uno all morning, and Presto! Moans from Windows XP Service Pack 3 that it can’t find the drivers for this device.
The Green ‘power’ light and a blinking Orange light are on, so the board appears to be getting power.

Neither Arduino00022 nor Arduino1.0 show anything in the Tools>Serial port menu though they are both fine with my Uno.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega2560 reads

The Mega2560 differs from all preceding boards in that it does not use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the ATmega16U2 (ATmega8U2 in the revision 1 and revision 2 boards) programmed as a USB-to-serial converter.

but the Troubleshooting page, http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#toc17, implies that it does use FTDI:-

Why doesn’t my board show in the Tools | Serial Port menu ?

If you’re using a USB Arduino board, make sure you installed the FTDI drivers (see the Howto for directions).

And the HowTo, http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Howto, also insists on FTDI:-

3 | Install the USB drivers

If you are using a USB Arduino, you will need to install the drivers for the FTDI chip on the board. These can be found in the drivers directory of the Arduino distribution.

On Windows, you will need to unzip FTDI USB Drivers.zip. Then, when you plug in the Arduino board, point the Windows Add Hardware wizard to the FTDI USB Drivers directory.

Unfortunately, I also followed this advice from the Troubleshooting page:-

If you get this error when installing the Uno or Mega 2560 drivers on Windows XP: “The system cannot find the file specified”, you might try this suggestion (about adding a “RunOnce” key to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion”).

so now Windows makes no further attempt to get the Driver or to display the Wizard, though it does make the bing-bong sound when I plug-in the USB.

I’ve tried re-booting Windows, to no avail, and now I’m stuck.

How can I persuade Windows to accept this board, using the same USB-socket and the same USB-cable that works fine with my Uno?

Geoff

I had trouble very similar to yours. I gave up and went to use a different computer.

Thanks for that michinyon. Did it work on the different computer? Or perhaps you mean a different MCU computer, as in not-the-Mega2560?

Neither Arduino00022 nor Arduino1.0 show anything in the Tools>Serial port menu though they are both fine with my Uno.

The Tools>Serial port does not show anything for me ether, no matter which version I use, so could someone post some help.

HELP, please.

My vendor has very decently replaced the Mega with another.

With the same result - zilch, nothing, nada!

Windows “Cannot find the specified file” or a variation “Cannot find the software” from either Arduino00022 or from Arduino1.0

Let’s see if we get some answers from the Programming Section of the Forum (other than Flames)

Geoff