Bread board arduino uno

I have this setup on a bread board as per all the instructions.

With a FTDI Basic Breakout board for uploading as per the instructions.

I have a LED to GND via 220R on pin 13 of the Atmega.

The only thing I have done differently is add a 3 terminal bi-color LED to the Rx and Tx pins of the Atmega328P chip (220R x 3 to GND)

Is this likely to upset the apple cart some how, because I find I cannot upload to the arduino and it does not seem the be able to run the blink program.

If I take the atmega chip out of my breadboard and stick it in a bought uno board then the atmega chip works fine and runs the blink program.

What are the Rx and Tx LEDs connnected to on a bought arduino uno board? Perhaps it is the equivalent of the FTDI on the Uno board rather than directly to the Rx and Tx pins of the Atmega?

The RX and TX LEDs are driven from separate outputs on the USB converter on the UNO board. Your FTDI board probably has similar LEDs.

Does it upload OK if you remove those LEDs?

MorganS: The RX and TX LEDs are driven from separate outputs on the USB converter on the UNO board. Your FTDI board probably has similar LEDs.

Does it upload OK if you remove those LEDs?

I was going to try that but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I just wondered in advance if anyone might know of the consequences of adding a bit of extra load to the Tx and Rx pins.