Breadboard arduino help

I am bread-boarding an arduino and I am positive I have all the connections correct ive check multiple times. When i go to use the FTDI cable to upload the sketch (blink) i get the

"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" error message.

I have tried to press reset on upload, the board i have selected is Duemilanove w/ ATmega328, and the port is right, but still no go.

any advice would be great.

Show us your wiring of the breadboard.

I attached a photo of the schematic, didn't bother with a photo of the actual breadboard but its not much help, its a mess.

photo.jpg|1296x968

You need power decoupling both sides of the Atmega328. See Nick Gammon's article here.

11Trevor11: I attached a photo of the schematic, didn't bother with a photo of the actual breadboard but its not much help, its a mess.

It can be a big help to us.

Also the schematic you posted appears to have power to only one side of the Atmega328.

That WILL NOT WORK.

Shouting intentional.

Yes, VCC and AVCC must both be connected. 0.1uF from each to Gnd is also very beneficial. Buy a small bagful from dipmicro.com or taydaelectronics.com, you will need them for every project.

How did you burn the fuses and install a bootloader onto the chip? Are you selecting the proper board type for that bootloader? I burn all my '328P chips as if they were an Uno for use with 16 MHz crystal.

Thanks everyone for all the awesome help, i had a couple things i was doing wrong, but with your guys help i got my little green LED blinking away!!!!!! SUPER STOKED!!! :D