Breadboards....I don't understand.

I am very new to Arduino. I just recently ordered a breadboard, a bunch of LEDs, some buttons, and resistors to play with. I am able to control a pair of LEDs directly plugged into the Arduino chip, but want to use a breadboard, but don't quite understand how to connect them or how they work. If someone can help me to understand that I would greatly appreciate it.

I found a tutorial or two online, but they don't use an Arduino chip with the breadboard, but rather a microprocessor connected to the breadboard. Which only added to my confusion.

Right on this site is a link to the Main Page where there is a link to Learning where there are links to examples, many of which show Arduino and breadboard connections.

But. You. Have. To. Look.

the arduino is a microcontroller.

is the breadboard you have solderless breadboard (white with lots of divets to push components into) or standard breadboard (usually a yellowish color with just a bunch of through holes)?

pictures would be great to make sure everyone understand what you have to work with.

Do you understand the basics of how a breadboard works (e.g. the power strips on the left and right, the left and right rows) ? If not here's a couple of links that may help:

http://eecs.vanderbilt.edu/courses/ee213/Breadboard.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqNaSPTI7w (video)

To use a breadboard with your Arduino board connect the ground pin to the black (or blue) vertical power strips (daisy chain them so all are connected), then do the same with the +5v or +3.3v pin to the red vertical power strips. After that connect all your components to the breadboard, then run more wires from the components to the Arduino pins. Here's an example:

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Fade

Good luck!

Hi-

welcome (oops I see others replied before i finally got back here) LOL

anyways..

outside of the links/comments.. here are just come general diagrams for you to look at..

dont get too hung up on the specific components.. look at how they connect to Arduino..and what they all have in common.

having the board orientation going to LEFT to RIGHT (long ways)

so in the images..

Basically, (depending on the breadboard).. the outside 'ROWS' (2) (referred to as RAILS or POWER RAILS).. are where you connect your 'power supply' to. sometimes this is a PSU..sometimes a battery pack..etc.. or even your Arduino.. as you can tap he GND and 3.3v or 5v lines to power your board/components.. (careful Arduino cant power alot of things..if it takes too much draw..use an external power source)

the outside 'rails/ (ROWS)... will have 1 v++ line (red/positive) going to it (in 1 ROW) (usually marked with a red line on the breadboard).. and a GND line (black/negative) to the other ROW.. (again usually marked with a black line on the breadboard)

you use these outside rails to supply POWER (V++) or GND for your components on the inside of the board.

the inside of the board/holes.. are all COLUMNS.. meaning they are all connected together by COLUMNS (with a break/split in the middle of the board... for IC chips..etc).. outside is connected in ROWS... inside is connected in COLUMNS. (if you are looking at the images below)

Chris, that video is what I needed. While I understood their purpose I didn't understand how or why they worked. The video explained it very well. Thanks to all for the help getting me going in the right direction.