Breakout Board for LGA

I'm working on an Arduino project which uses a couple of IC sensors that are naturally only available as tiny SMT chips. Specifically, one is an LGA-16L package (4x4mm, 0.65mm pin spacing on 4x4 pin arrangement) and the other is a TFLGA-16L (3x3mm, 0.50mm spacing on 5x3 pin arrangement). Being far from ready to think about the end product, I'd love to get my hands on some breakout boards for these so that I can proto on a breadboard (or perhaps perf. board). They aren't already available pre-built on breakout boards such as the ones Adafruit sells.

Looking around, I've been unable to find breakout boards for such chips (perhaps my Google ninja card needs to be revoked). I can find ones for seemingly any other package type for pennies on Furturlec (and other sites for typically >10x the price), but only one place with boards that seem like they will work (proto-advantage) and those are $6/ea + shipping. (http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2200123 and http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2200122) Not horribly expensive, but I'd love to do better, especially since I need a few of these (I have 3 of each sensor, I only need one of each mounted right now but I'd like spares just in case.)

Have I missed a good site somewhere? Or do I need to bite the bullet and draw up some boards for these and get them made at SeeedStudio/Itead or similar? I've never designed a board, though I suppose it wouldn't be too hard for simple breakout boards, but if I could get them off-the-shelf for reasonable cost, that would be easier for now.

madmattd: Or do I need to bite the bullet and draw up some boards for these and get them made at SeeedStudio/Itead or similar?

What is the pitch or ball spacing? Prototype shops may not have enough margin to produce them.

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=191391.msg1414759#msg1414759 date=1380819638] What is the pitch or ball spacing? Prototype shops may not have enough margin to produce them. [/quote]

On the smaller chip, 0.25x0.35mm pads (per the datasheets), 0.5mm center-to-center, so 0.25mm between traces (the larger chip has larger pads). So ~10 mil wide traces with ~10 mil spacing, which is well within the capabilities of some of the shops I've looked at (OSH at least specs down to 6mil). I'll most likely use OSH if I need to make some boards, since they are fairly fast for US folks and still decently priced.

Just hoping there might be some out there already available that I missed. If not, it will be a good learning exercise to get these made I guess.

You’re right. I think this is the same package you’re using. It passes Seeed’s DRC which has less tolerance than OSH’s.

I got caught up in putting traces between the pads…

Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 2.51.29 PM.png

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=191391.msg1414954#msg1414954 date=1380829749] You're right. I think this is the same package you're using. It passes Seeed's DRC which has less tolerance than OSH's.

I got caught up in putting traces between the pads... [/quote]

Yup, same package as chip #1 (the 4x4mm one).