BREXIT - Race to the bottom

The UK Government does not even see value in having British passports made in Britain.

...R

Where are they made then?
So you will be British by birth with a (example) EU made pasport?

It's because of EU procurement rules.

As a Remainer, I think it's very, very funny.

A little like Farage's stunt yesterday, protesting post-Brexit fishing rights, when he, as an MEP and fisheries policy committee member, attended only one of about fifty meetings of said committee.

Brexit (n) The undefined negotiated by the unprepared to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

GrooveFlotilla:
As a Remainer, I think it’s very, very funny.

As a Brexiter it is also funny.
Relatives who fought in WW2 do not think so.

Perhaps it would have been better to wait a few years until they were gone before Europe decided to form the ‘Kingdom of Europe’.

Both my grandfather's fought in France in WW1. At least one great uncle is buried in Northern France.
My father fought in the North Atlantic in WW2, supplying Europe.

One of the last cogent things my father said before dementia took him away from us was "I don't want your (my) son to go through what I did. Stay close to them (Europe)."

So angry with the people of the world.

We are so stupid letting dictators and rich thieves rule the world.

Shame on the human race.

We deserve what is happening in our countries.

Greed greed greed . . .

GrooveFlotilla:
Both my grandfather's fought in France in WW1. At least one great uncle is buried in Northern France.
My father fought in the North Atlantic in WW2, supplying Europe.

I have great respect for people who contributed in those appalling wars. Britain considered it important then to go to the support of Europe at a huge cost to itself.

It seems to me that BREXIT is devaluing all that sacrifice now that Britain is turning its back on Europe when times are good.

...R

Robin2:
It seems to me that BREXIT is devaluing all that sacrifice now that Britain is turning its back on Europe when times are good.

...R

Amen

Brexit is not a race to the bottom surely?

No, no, no, the UK is going to make itself more competitive by tearing up red tape. Then it is going to race to the top with even higher standards than at present presumably by er introducing even tougher regulation?

Anyway Brexit negotiations are due to start today arn't they ROFL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So what will happen, if the negotiations won't lead to anything? Britain will just be cut off without anything? And new negotiations will start from scratch, this time with a non-member country?

Johan_Ha:
So what will happen, if the negotiations won’t lead to anything? Britain will just be cut off without anything? And new negotiations will start from scratch, this time with a non-member country?

That sounds about right.

But the reality is that anyone who thinks Brexit is going to change anything is just deluding himself.

…R

Johan_Ha:
So what will happen, if the negotiations won't lead to anything? Britain will just be cut off without anything? And new negotiations will start from scratch, this time with a non-member country?

If there is no deal the UK would trade with the EU using World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules, which will involve a lot of bureaucracy and tariffs. However this problem is not limited to the EU. There are lots of trade deals between the EU and other countries. Once the UK leaves the EU those deals will cease to apply to the UK which is going to have to renegotiated them from a very weak position. The UK does not even have many experienced trade negotiators.

China and Switzerland recently negotiated a bilateral free trade deal. I don't know how long it took them to do it. I could be wrong about this but the deal gives China immediate tariff free access to Switzerland and Switzerland gets tariff free access to China in ... 15 years time! The comment I heard was "if a single country gets into bed with an elephant it can expect to be crushed".

I think the "transition period" for the UK is set at 18 months. Very shrewdly the EU has said the UK can negotiate trade deals during that period. It will be very interesting to see how many good trade deals the UK has lined up 3-6 months before the end of the transition. If the bag is empty or the deals involved being crushed by elephants I would put my money on quite a lot of panic.

I think there will be economic problems due to brexit but i am prepared to put up with that for the sake of getting Brussels off our backs.

They do not seem to listen to our concerns.
In my opinion they are undemocratic and autocratic.

They seem to be taking more and more power which in my opinion is dangerous , much talk about integration , people and religions are different , get used to it as you will not change that.

I used to visit areas in France which are now no go areas for both myself and the indegeonus french.

I used to support the Economic union but the European union is something else and i think we should get out while we can.

Ricky Gervais had a funny comment: They should rip off the warning text “Don’t drink” from bleach bottles for two years and then have the referendum.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I heard a radio programme recently where primary school pupils were interviewed.
Often said was the freedom to travel , i wonder who brainwashed that into them.

When i were a lad , where i came from the only way to travel was to join the armed forces and probably go and attack them.
That said when i did travel i had absolutely no problem just waved my black passport.

Boardburner2:
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I heard a radio programme recently where primary school pupils were interviewed.
Often said was the freedom to travel , i wonder who brainwashed that into them.

When i were a lad , where i came from the only way to travel was to join the armed forces and probably go and attack them.
That said when i did travel i had absolutely no problem just waved my black passport.

Maybe the kids were brainwashed by Winston Churchill, did he not write "I look forward to a United States of Europe, in which the barriers between the nations will be greatly minimised and unrestricted travel will be possible".

I think he wrote the above in the middle of WW2. Having served in the trenches in WW1 he probably thought a bit of unity was preferable to going around attacking people.

Boardburner2:
They do not seem to listen to our concerns.
In my opinion they are undemocratic and autocratic.

IMHO a great deal of that is because the UK has always been a half-hearted member of the EU and never really took the trouble to try to convince anyone of the value of its concerns. It seemed very clear to me around the time Cameron was trying to negotiate a better deal prior to the Referendum that many of the concerns of British people were echoed in other member States - but he never took the trouble to reach out to that wider constituency so that changes might have happened in Brussels that could have avoided the demand for Brexit.

There is also a very unpleasant effect (which I have seen in Ireland as much as in England) where it suits the national politicians to blame Brussels for things they agree with but can't be seen to agree with. And the other side (equally unpleasant) of taking credit locally for good things that were actually inspired by Brussels. You can see exactly the same political behaviour in the dynamic between local and national Government.

This leaves the general population with the opinion that only bad things come from Brussels.

...R

Robin2:
....This leaves the general population with the opinion that only bad things come from Brussels.

Exactly. If you cast your mind back to when Port Talbot steelworks were at risk the impression was given that UK Government could not help the steel industry because it would fall foul of EU rules against state subsidies. In reality the EU had been wanting to impose tariffs of 60-70% on Chinese steel being dumped in the EU but the move was blocked by the UK.

The fact is that the UK has a fantastic deal in the EU; It is in the EU but not the Euro zone (and despite that provides a lot of the EU's financial services). It is in the EU but not the Schengen zone. It gets rebates. It has exemptions. It has free trade with a massive market on its own doorstep. It benefits from EU trade deals with a large number of countries.

At the moment the UK is free to compete with Germany, France and other EU states both within the EU and around the world. The reality though is that UK productivity is lower than that of even Italy (no offense to any Italians on the Forum ). Leaving the EU is not going to be a magic wand that will cure that, quite the reverse.

Of course there are things wrong with the EU but the solution is to change things from within not to go away and sulk in a corner.

ardly:
Of course there are things wrong with the EU but the solution is to change things from within not to go away and sulk in a corner.

Agreed, but it's too late for that now.

Henry_Best:
Agreed, but it's too late for that now.

No its not if there was UK politician with any bottle.

IIRC Vince Cable pointed out that the majority of young people - those who will have to live the longest with the consequences - voted to remain.

...R