Bridge (or other) API to search for WLANs and select one?

Hello, I'd like to make my arduinos switch networks depending on availability.

I'd need to see whether one network is in reach, and connect to that if available. If unavailable, the arduino should connect to another network (simply assuming it is available).

Right now, I only know of the manual possibility to let the arduino connect, as described in the "Guide to the Arduino Yún".

How can I create a sketch which controls the network selection?

One way I can think of is running appropriate shell/python scripts, but I wondered whether there is something more comfortable?

Thanks, nobi

virtualnobi:
::::SNIP:::

1. How can I create a sketch which controls the network selection?

2. One way I can think of is running appropriate shell/python scripts, but I wondered whether there is something more comfortable?

Thanks, nobi

On (1), yes.

On (2), no. What you are trying to do sounds easy, but it has issues - if the Arduino is moving.

Can you give use more details?

Jesse

virtualnobi:
One way I can think of is running appropriate shell/python scripts, but I wondered whether there is something more comfortable?

Using a script bash or python is the way. There is not any network manager on Arduino Yun so all the work for switching from one network to another must be done "by hand". :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answers. Even if they mean mean work, at least I can stop searching…

virtualnobi:
How can I create a sketch which controls the network selection?

jessemonroy650:
On (1), yes.

:slight_smile: “Can you tell me what time it is?” - “Yes.”

I need to connect two Arduinos with fixed network addresses, but for easier demonstration, I wanted them to first check for my phone’s hotspot and use that, if available. That way, I could take them with me and easily show it.

virtualnobi:
Thanks for your answers. Even if they mean mean work, at least I can stop searching...

:slight_smile: "Can you tell me what time it is?" - "Yes."

I need to connect two Arduinos with fixed network addresses, but for easier demonstration, I wanted them to first check for my phone's hotspot and use that, if available. That way, I could take them with me and easily show it.

@virtualnobi,
is there some other question you have?

Jesse

Jesse,

jessemonroy650:
is there some other question you have?

no, not until I try the scripting and hit a wall again (and likely that should go to the OpenWRT forum).

I added the description to answer your question in:

jessemonroy650:
Can you give use more details?

Many thanks so far.