Broken Duemilanove 328P programmed with ftdi basic

I have a Arduino Duemilanove that gave up the ghost and so as a replacement I got a ftdi basic breakout board and arduino pro mini 5v 16mhz 328p from sparkfun.

can I hook up the ftdi breakout board to my duemilanove to try and save it? also my ftdi chip on my duemilanove gets really really really really hot when i plug it into usb. if I'm using the ftdi breakout board to program it can I just cut that chip off the pcb?

Thanks in advance

You could salvage some parts from it but the chip may also be fried.

If you remove the atmega chip does the FTDI still get hot?

If the chip is fine then you could build a breadboard arduino or build one up on a protoboard http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Tutorials/ArduinoBreadboard If you were doing it on a protoboard you may be able to scrounge the 16mhz crystal off the board as well...

Mowcius

so i cant just cut off the ftdi chip and wire my rx and tx and what have you directly up? i’d rather keep the pcb if I could

Umm. Yeah, I would say so in theory.

You haven't got much to lose, try it and see ;)

Mowcius

bump

still no luck on either ubuntu or windows 7

Doing what?

Self bumps are shameless :p

Mowcius

bump

Hello?

What is still not working? You have cut off the chip I presume. Then you can just connect the rx and tx to the tx and rx respectively on the board pins (0 and 1).

Mowcius

im so sorry not only was all of those posts in the wrong thread but i left the tab open so it reposted every time i opened my browser. so sorry.

ok back to this thread. so rx to tx, tx to rx, then gnd to gnd, 5v to vcc? or vss??? and then cts to reset?

so rx to tx, tx to rx, then gnd to gnd, 5v to vcc

Sounds about right.

cts to reset

Umm, probably, to test it you can just use the manual reset on your board before uploading a sketch...

Mowcius

holy bejesuz it worked

FTDI Breakout / Arduino Duemilanove

GRN -> GRN CTS -> NC (Not Connected) 5V -> Vin TXO -> RX RXI -> TX DTR -> Reset