Broken pot, don't know how to read markings.

Hey there, so I've got a potentiometer here that came off an airsoft gun. It's clearly broken. Broken to the point that I can't measure a resistance on any of the pins (the thing saw some heat for god only knows what reason).

Its apparently part of the circuit for adjusting the guns ROF. And test firing the gun with an assortment of pots I have, I'm thinking it should be in the ballpark of a 5k.

Reading the pot however its labeled as. B5K4 B is the signifier for linear I believe, which works for me. 5k also works. but the hells with the 4?

Supposed to be a 5.4k or something? I just wanna get the right part so the thing doesnt break the gearbox down the road and the kid blames me. (though with how he treats this thing, I'm surprised hes had it for 3 years)

If anyone can set the record straight on what the B5K4 tag means, it'd be appreciated.

5K4 is a standard engineering notation for 5400, so 5.4K? sounds right to me. Though, 5.4K? is a strange value for a pot. 5.6K? would be more common.

Depending on how the pot is wired up the actual resistance might not matter that much. If it's being used as variable voltage divider then the resistance can vary and it not make the slightest bit of difference.

Maybe the B and the 4 are some part designator from the manufacturer specifying some other aspect of the pot. Size, lead placement, color... and the 5k does mean 5k ohms.

polymorph:
Maybe the B and the 4 are some part designator from the manufacturer specifying some other aspect of the pot. Size, lead placement, color… and the 5k does mean 5k ohms.

B means linear track. That is standard. A is log,