Brushed Motor with ESC Full Throttle Issues

Hello,

I am using an Arduino Uno with my Hobbywing Quicrun 1060A ESC and a Traxxas Titan 12T Brushed motor. I am able to arm the ESC and power up the motor at lower speeds properly, but when I attempt to raise the throttle from a full stop to above 67%, or 1700 microseconds, the motor continuously cycles at a lower throttle. This issue seems to occur more frequently when the vehicle is under load, which does not make sense. Also, when I switch from a lower throttle level to a higher level (above 67%) without a delay of 1000 microseconds, I have the same issue of the motor continuously cycling.

Is there an issue with the delay times I am using between changing throttle levels? Is the ESC not capable of rapidly increasing throttle when under load? Is there any chance that the Arduino would be the source of this issue?

Here is the code I am currently using and have the issue with. Thanks in advance!

#include <Servo.h>

Servo motor; 

void setup() {

motor.attach(9);

}

void loop() {
  delay(4000); 
  motor.writeMicroseconds(1500);
  delay(1000);
  motor.writeMicroseconds(1800);
  delay(1000);
  motor.writeMicroseconds(1000);
  delay(2000);
  motor.writeMicroseconds(1500);
  while(1){
  }

}

Maybe it is current-limiting? You have tried controlling it direct from a servo-tester?

This is possible, but why would full throttle function properly if given a large delay after first running at a lower throttle level? I have not controlled it from a servo-tester, but have been able to run the motor throughout all throttle levels given amounts of delay (atleast 1 second).

Thanks for the quick response!

So I think I may have figured out the issue but am not sure. Is it possible that I am triggering the low voltage mode of my ESC as my battery may have a low discharge capacity so when it is placed under load it is not up to the job? I am not sure of this, but cannot think of any other issues. I believe this would relate to the current limiting issue that was discussed earlier. If so, what would be a good option for a 7.2 Volt 6 Cell NiMH battery that would be able to power my setup without discharging under full load?

Thanks in advance!

Voltage drop under load can for sure cause resets or brownouts either in the ESC or the arduino.

Lithium polymer batteries droop way less under load than NIMH. A 2s lipo with a high discharge rate should be a suitable replacement for 7.2v NIMH and will be much more stable under load.