Brushless motor OR servomotor

Hi,

im new to the world of arduino.

Im looking to controle a motor that will make very small step. (less than 1 degre).
And in the same time i will like the feedback to know what is the position of the motor.

I read about this subject but some people tell that this can be done by Servo motors and others Brushless motor (because many use this for Brushless Gimbal Camera)

So what is the best solution

Thank you :slight_smile:

With a brushless motor you need to build some kind of feedback. And brushles motors need a special driver (a module that controls the motor).

A servo motor can be used to set an angle of 0 to 180 degrees.
The Arduino Servo library uses steps of 1 degree.

A stepper motor makes small steps. There is no feedback, since you know how many steps have been taken.
A stepper motor has very little strength, the faster it turns the less strength.
The Arduino stepper library can be used, but there are also many good driver boards.

For super small steps, you can use a stepper motor with gears. That way you can achieve less than 1 degree.

For 3D printers, often linear actuators are used.

My testing of typical hobby servos found that a hobby servo is mechanically capable of about .5 deg resolution. One would use the writeMicroseconds() functions for this.

You could consider one of these motors with an encoder but the programming would be considerably more complicated.

Servos are very cheap and easy to use. I suggest you get one and try it out before considering anything more complex.

...R

Typical servos have no feedback visible outside of their little boxes, but adafruit have this one with feedback brought out.

Thank you all for your respons... :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

but if i need very good speed, big torque, and a very good precision (repetability) is it best a servo motor or a brunsh less sterpper with feedback?

thank you.

Patrick

Are you looking for a hobby type servo or an industrial type servo? What exactly are you trying to do?

PAKOLG:
but if i need very good speed, big torque, and a very good precision (repetability) is it best a servo motor or a brunsh less sterpper with feedback?

I don't know. Get a cheap servo and find out what it can do. If it is not suitable then you know you need a more complex solution.

By the way, while it is true that stepper motors are brushless the two words are not normally used together. Brushless motor usually means an entirely different thing that does not have steps.

...R