Brushless Motor Tone Generation

Hi everyone! So I'm working on a project that uses a brushless motor along with a 'Hobby Wing 150 Amp ESC.' The goal is to make an audible tone using an Arduino Nano. I've already tried using the tone() function with no luck. How would I be able to go about this? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, Using the tone function is very easy, or do you want to do it in some strange way?? What does the motor have to do with making the sound!! What kind of sound a beep! or continous? what frequency? etc, tell us more.

Show us what you have done to make a sound, you usually need a small transistor or FET and a piezo sounder, etc.. Where's your code we need to see it.

Hope it helps, regards

Mel.

ruslanpshichenko: Hi everyone! So I'm working on a project that uses a brushless motor along with a 'Hobby Wing 150 Amp ESC.' The goal is to make an audible tone using an Arduino Nano. I've already tried using the tone() function with no luck. How would I be able to go about this? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Does the 'Hobby Wing 150 Amp ESC.' have a programmable tone generation feature? If not you won't be able to, the Arduino only sends speed information to the ESC via a standard servo signal.

Or did you mean you'll add a piezo sounder to the project?

So the goal of the project is to keep it as simple as possible meaning that any extra hardware such as a piezo buzzer is avoided at all costs. As you know, when an ESC becomes 'ARMED', it creates an audible tone so that the user knows the status of the ESC. My goal is to replicate those tones by sending a PWM signal to the ESC. I've been browsing around and found that people treat brushless motors as a speaker when it comes to tone generation. Here's the reference: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680402 However, I don't understand how one is able to send a frequency through a PWM signal. I have tried to use the tone() feature by setting the ESC to a specific frequency, but found that the motor doesn't make the beeps it would make during startup. Any ideas? Thanks!

MarkT: Does the 'Hobby Wing 150 Amp ESC.' have a programmable tone generation feature? If not you won't be able to, the Arduino only sends speed information to the ESC via a standard servo signal.

Or did you mean you'll add a piezo sounder to the project?

What do you mean by 'programmable tone generation feature'? I've done some research and found that all ESCs on the market including mine that don't have this feature. How do you think it would be possible if they did have this feature, just send a very specific PWM signal?