BSSID() and macAddress() functions return the mac from 5 to 0 or from 0 to 5?

Hello,

There is something not very clear about the BSSID() and the macAddress() functions

from this example it looks like that the bssid and macAddress are from 5 to 0, could someone confirm this?

If yes, why on hell the esp32 folks made exactly the opposite :cry: :cry: :cry:
as you can see here in their core it is from 0 to 5

EDIT: yes, both macAddress() and BSSID() are from 5 to 0, now the reference page has been updated

Related:

pert:
Related:
Lacking API documentation · Issue #55 · arduino-libraries/WiFiNINA · GitHub

yep i wrote that comment but i don't consider this as cross posting, i wrote here because i wanted to be sure that my thoughts were correct (the mac have to be read from 5 to 0) because i wasn't 100% sure and it looks a little bit nosense

by the way yestarday I discovered about the Season of Docs, my compliments Per :slight_smile: I have good believes that this project will bring to prevent misunderstanding with future core developers. I mean that, if arduino people make a very good documentation of the API, incompatibility (like the one that i pointed out and more) will be less likely to happen

I didn't mean to imply you were cross posting. I just wanted to be sure all the information was available in one place. There's a good chance that you will get an informed response from a developer on that GitHub issue and now that there's a link to it, anyone who has the same question and runs across this forum thread in their search will be able to easily find all the relevant information.

aster94:
yestarday I discovered about the Season of Docs, my compliments Per :slight_smile: I have good believes that this project will bring to prevent misunderstanding with future core developers. I mean that, if arduino people make a very good documentation of the API, incompatibility (like the one that i pointed out and more) will be less likely to happen

Thanks! I think it's a really great program. Google has been doing the "Google Summer of Code" program for a while. Now it's good to see that they are making an effort to promote quality documentation of open source projects. I'm very passionate on the subject of documentation and hope this might result in some useful documentation being produced for Arduino, as well as providing a good experience for the technical writer. Arduino asked me to apply to be one of the mentors for the project. Hopefully we will be selected by Google to participate.

For anyone interested in technical writing who reads this, you might consider applying to the program:

Or if anyone has ideas for additional documentation projects ideas to add to the list, feel free to contact me. Here is the current list:

Hopefully we will be selected by Google to participate.

is there something we could do like voting or something else?

by the way the two links you posted are the same!

aster94:
is there something we could do like voting or something else?

I suppose if someone came up with a great idea to add to the project ideas list, that could help, since the list is part of the application to Google. Other than that, the decision is up to Google. The application deadline for organizations is tomorrow (though we can continue to update the project ideas list after that time), after which Google reviews the applications and decides which organizations to select.

aster94:
by the way the two links you posted are the same!

Thanks for pointing that out! The project ideas list is actually here:

by the way the issue on github was opened and closed in a few hours, weird, and not polite...
anyway if someone comes along and read this I am almost sure that the bssid and mac address have to be read from 5 to 0

The project ideas list is actually here:
season-of-docs/IDEAS.md at master · arduino/season-of-docs · GitHub

If i have any more ideas i will open an issue or write a PM directly to you! but I already see that the idea of documenting the core is already there :slight_smile:

aster94:
by the way the issue on github was opened and closed in a few hours, weird, and not polite...

I noticed that and assumed it meant that the required documentation had been added to the reference pages, since the person who closed the issue is in charge of the documentation. I would prefer that people take a few seconds to write a reply when they do that to prevent any confusion. That has been a big frustration to me as a volunteer contributor to open source projects. I submit a pull request, then it gets closed. I have to waste time looking through the commit history to figure out whether:

• My PR was such garbage that they didn't even think it was worth responding to before they rejected it.
  • The maintainer is clueless about how GitHub works and reproduced my work, rather than just clicking the "Merge" button. In this case, I find they screwed it up about half the time.
  • A repository maintainer accidentally closed the PR.

Unfortunately, there isn't public version control for the documentation content so I can't check what changed. I notice on this page:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/WiFiNINABSSID

Returns

A byte array containing the MAC address of the router the WiFi shield is currently connected to or the MAC address of a network that was scanned. The first array index contains the last byte of the MAC address.

That last sentence seems to provide the necessary documentation.

The macAddress() reference page does not contain similar text. I do notice that both pages have example code that demonstrates the situation. I don't know whether that code is new, or if it was always there. Maybe you remember how the pages were before? It's possible that the person updating the documentation thought the issue was only about BSSID(), since that's more prominent in your comment on that issue thread. If there seems to have been no change to the macAddress() reference page, I would recommend that you comment on the issue again to request that it be updated in a similar manner to BSSID.

aster94:
I already see that the idea of documenting the core is already there :slight_smile:

Yeah, that could be really nice to have. It comes up periodically here on the forum where people want to make a custom hardware core and ask where the documentation is at. I point them to the Arduino Hardware Specification page, which is great as a reference, but it doesn't do a good job of walking someone through the process of creating a core.

I noticed that and assumed it meant that the required documentation had been added to the reference pages

You are right, they updated it! I am absolutely sure that this line, under syntax, wasn't there before

WiFi.BSSID(wifiAccessPoint, bssid)

The macAddress() reference page does not contain similar text. .... I would recommend that you comment on the issue again to request that it be updated in a similar manner to BSSID.

also true, but honestly i am not sure i would comment, i didn't want to appear as arrogant, neither i would like to be a pain in the ass, I commented just because i wanted to ease the life of newcomers which try the WiFi for the first time

aster94:
also true, but honestly i am not sure i would comment, i didn't want to appear as arrogant, neither i would like to be a pain in the ass, I commented just because i wanted to ease the life of newcomers which try the WiFi for the first time

I very much sympathize with that feeling. It's hard to know where the line is drawn between providing helpful feedback and annoying people. I suppose one of the downsides to collaborating over the Internet is we miss out on the subtle physical clues to people's feelings we might perceive if dealing them in person.