BT Arduino how to get the macbook pro to see it?

Dear All,
I have just joined this list. I am a newbie with all this. I have just bought a Bluetooth Arduino and am trying to get my Mac Book pro (running OS 10.4.11) to recognise it, but it doesn’t find it wen I click set up bluetooth device and it goes searching for it. I have been assuming that with the arduino powered with 2 AA batteries, it should be visible to the mac? Somewhere on the arduino site it says you have to assign a serial port to it but I this is not explained anywhere and I have no idea what they mean! Can someone help?
many thanks, A :wink:

It should find it. Is the power LED on the BT board on?

Thanks, no actually, the light doesn't come on. Maybe the board is faulty. The plus of the battery feed should go into the 5v hole and the minus in the ground, shouldn't it? cheers ::) a

Actually your battery should be in the 9V and minus or better just use the powersource connector with the screws on it. The arduino transforms the voltage of your battery to the 5V that you need.

Hans.

thanks Hans, I will try that. Did we meet at NIME this year by the way?!

Hi Adinda,

Yes we did....

Is it working now?

Best, Hans.

Actually your battery should be in the 9V and minus or better just use the powersource connector with the screws on it. The arduino transforms the voltage of your battery to the 5V that you need.

Hans.

Careful, the Arduino BT doesn't like input voltages greater than 5.5V It has a dc-dc stepup converter on board that supports a battery input between 1.2v and 5.5v.

• Will FunGizmos.com

thanks everyone, it was still not working, I've sent it back. they have no others in stock so have to go elsewhere if I want another one. Can anyone recommend a supplier? Thanks and best, Adinda (p.s Hans, I lost your business card, otherwise I'd have emailed you. So great to know you're hanging out here!)