Buffered USB Port Causing IDE Problems

I'm running Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2 on two PCs. One is a Toshiba Satellite L645 and the IDE runs just fine.

The other PC is a Tower PC with a Zotac MB with a Core-2 duo. When I attempt an upload to a Leonardo clone with this PC, the IDE "hangs" forever and the error message is "does not support buffered USB".

I haven't poked around in the BIOS to see if there is a way to disable buffering. Alternately, can I just buy a cheapie PCI USB card and hope I get one that is unbuffered?

Anyone having a similar experience with their USB and Arduino IDE?

The Arduino IDE is written in Java so I wonder if this is a Java problem?

What version of Java is on the two PCs?

If the Java came with the IDE maybe it would be better to install Oracle Java onto the PC and not use the Arduino version?

...R

Thank you for the response, Robin.
The desktop has: Java SE Dev. Kit 8, update 11
The laptop has: Java 7, update 67

I did some poking around myself and found in PROPERTIES of the PC's USB port there is a check box to disable buffering. Disabled, still not able to upload.

I finally placed a USB Hub between the PC's port and the Leonardo's. Though it came up with a completely different COM port, I was able to upload, though it seemed to be slower.

I think I saw this in a reply somewhere in the forum stating "buffered" mode is not supported. Doesn't tell you how to get around it though.

Do you still believe it's a Java problem? Should I try to roll back the PC so the version matches that of the laptop?

rmetzner49:
Do you still believe it's a Java problem?

I don't believe it's a Java issue (I'm an aetheist) - but I do think it's worth investigating.

I know some of the Arduino IDE downloads include Java. Is it possible that on your PC it is not using the version you think it is - and, sorry, I don't know how to check apart from, perhaps, renaming some of the key Java files within the IDE directory to force it to fail.

...R