Bugs in the update

Cant upload any sketch's to my atMega 2560 I have tried just about everything since this morning.
After I updated the arduino IDE to 1.6.8 my troubles began.
I am now using 1.6.10 unsuccessfully I might add!

tried the avrdude -c option (could not get that to happen ether)
reinstalled the arduino software
checked my cables, connections
ports , baud rates
device drivers

no luck, out of ideas
been at it all day

getting this error msg.

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

It seems like everyone is getting similar errors.
and I tried some of the suggestions but nothing is working for me

need hlp pls

Please post the entire error output. That fragment you posted isn’t very helpful. After a compiling error there will be a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button and then paste it here using code tags(</> button on the toolbar).

OK here is the entire error msg
although it doesn’t seem to matter which dir. my sketch is in or what sketch i try to upload
I still gt the same error!

Arduino: 1.6.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\lib\my_sketchs\REWORK_HAND_Motions_with_PS2X\REWORK_HAND_Motions_with_PS2X.ino:18:34: fatal error: PS2X_lib.h: No such file or directory

#include <PS2X_lib.h>  //for v1.6

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I tried moving my sketch to the default sketch location, I put all #incluided <lib.h>in the same dir. :sob:

This is the critical part of the error message that describes the true problem:-

fatal error: PS2X_lib.h: No such file or directory

Have you installed the “PS2X” library?

It’s available here:- PS2X Library

Edit: I missed this line earlier:-

I tried moving my sketch to the default sketch location, I put all #incluided <lib.h>in the same dir.

Place the library folder in the “Sketchbook” “libraries” folder.

Hi OldSteve,

Nice to hear from you again.
I did try putting PSX_lib in the Sketchbook library.
And that is precisely why I left that part out of the error message,
I didn't want to Sidetrack you from the real issue at hand.

I saw several post regarding the same issue on the latest Update infected with bugs.
In which they have been running the same sketch on the same board for several days or for long periods of time with no problem until today when the upgrade Came in which leads me to believe that there is a bug in the update so without wasting time on side tracking or questioning my competence or how i format my post .
I just need a bug fix .

I'd like to add that I also tried to revert back to older ver. of IDE.
and that did not work as well.

I suspect the new update corrupted the old installments of the IDE,

It did however ask to remove the older versions installed on my computer
for which I did grant permission.

#include <PS2X_lib.h>

void setup() {}

void loop() {}
Sketch uses 686 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 13 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8,179 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.

The problem is entirely yours. The problem has nothing to do with the update.

As Coding Badly says, the problem will be at your end, not a bug in the IDE. (V1.6.8 was pretty buggy, but V1.6.9 and I assume, V1.6.10, is much cleaner.)

Leaving out the important error message wasn't a good move. That message will prove to be correct. The problem is that the compiler cannot find that library, for whatever reason.

bartolobot:
It did however ask to remove the older versions installed on my computer for which I did grant permission.

Are you 100% sure that you have the "PS2X" library correctly installed?

If you previously had the library somewhere inside the main Arduino folder, it would have been deleted when you upgraded. Your sketchbook, (and the enclosed "libraries" folder), should be located in a folder outside your main Arduino folder, so that you don't lose everything when you update.

I say that because of this, which shows that your sketches and therefore the "libraries" folder are in the main Arduino folder.:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\lib\my_sketchs\REWORK_HAND_Motions_with_PS2X\REWORK_HAND_Motions_with_PS2X.ino:18:34: fatal error: PS2X_lib.h: No such file or directory

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\lib" is definitely not a good place to add other files/folders, incidentally. It's intended for java libraries etc.

If I were you, I'd try setting things up correctly, with your sketchbook and enclosed "libraries" folder in an appropriate place, then ensure that the "PS2X" library is correctly installed in that folder, and named "PS2X_lib", not "PS2X_lib-master", which is the original download name. Then make sure that the library files are in the top-level folder, since the download has "PS2X_lib-master" inside another folder of the same name. You only want the inner of those two folders, with "-master" removed.
At that point, as long as you have the correct sketchbook location set in the IDE's ">File >Preferences" "Sketchbook location", you should have no problems.

Edit: I just downloaded the library. It actually has two unneeded folders enclosing the library in this case. You only want the innermost folder, "PS2X_lib". (Because of the two enclosing folders, it doesn't have "-master" on the end.)

I just installed it correctly too, and get:-

Sketch uses 672 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 13 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8,179 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.

with the same example that Coding Badly used.

Yes OldSteve, the issue was resolved on my end.
It was due to misplaced lib. files and or multiple copy's of certain library files.
Got it all sorted out.

thanks OldSteve, and Coding Badly,
for your help.
I reached a milestone just yesterday right before the first update.
and I panic-ed when I could not upload the progress I made within the functionality and code of my humanoid arm from previous post in the programing section of this forum.

Ill post an update there when I get A chance.,

bartolobot:
Yes OldSteve, the issue was resolved on my end.
It was due to misplaced lib. files and or multiple copy’s of certain library files.
Got it all sorted out.

thanks OldSteve, and Coding Badly,
for your help.
I reached a milestone just yesterday right before the first update.
and I panic-ed when I could not upload the progress I made within the functionality and code of my humanoid arm from previous post in the programing section of this forum.

Ill post an update there when I get A chance.,

Good one. I’m glad you got it sorted out. :slight_smile:
I’m looking forward to seeing how your arm is coming along, too.