build a wearable activity tracker ,help a newbie

Hello, i want to join the community of arduino, and start with builing a wearable activity tracker
and I would like someone to help me on buying the right stuff to start with.

Arduino mini Pro
1x Lipo micro-usb charger (for charging the battery, it will be able, with the required code, to communicate with a PC though that micro-usb port? or its only for charing? )
1x mpu9250 9-axis motion sensor
1x bluetooth board
1x switch on battery wire (to power off the device)
1x 1Gbit flash memory (to save the data on memory when bluetooth isn't synch with a smarthpone)
1x 400mah lipo battery

will I be able to start ? :slight_smile: (arduino mini pro is able (has enough pins) to connect all these?

Thanks in Advance

It depends on exactly what modules you are using. Also, what exact features do you want this device to have (i.e. software features)?

USB chargers are generally not set up as USB slaves for talking to a PC. Post a link to the model you want to use.
The rest should be okay, with I2C or SPI interfaces to the motion sensor and memory, and probably serial to the Bluetooth.
You may have to disconnect the Bluetooth to download programs via serial.
400mAH battery won't last forever - how log of an activity do you plan to track? Check the current draw on the Bluetooth. Maybe find a BLE (Bluetooth low energy).
Many of the devices are likely to need 3.3V power. LiPo is 3.7 to 4.2V when fully charged. You will need a stepdown regulator as well.

First of all thank you for the responses.

I just want the device to either ble broadcast (acc zxy and gyro zxy data)
or save them in flash memory (if ble is not paired) and retrieve later.

Crossroads as you mentioned (i saw on the pictures) micr-usb lipo charger doesn't have pins (like the micro-usb serial stc converter) so it cant talk to pc.

How is it possible to do both? like smartphones transfer and charge from same port?

i saw on internet that arduino mini pro has regulator on board, it is not enough? need more for the rest of the modules? ( i saw a sketch on internet and made a simple thought -> each module will get powered through battery ( i was thinking through arduino board) so need more regulators.

BLE will be used, 1-2 hours activity tracking? (with ble broadcast or with ble idle and saving in flash memory)

1x adruino mini -> ebay
Nand flash -> ebay (saving data and restore later on pc or via bluetooth on smartphone)
BLE -> ebay
MPU9250 -> ebay
Micro-sub lipo charger -> ebay ( would I be able to read data from the micro-usb when i would connect on pc? (with the needed code))

Again thanks

"How is it possible to do both? like smartphones transfer and charge from same port?"
$600 smartphones have a little more engineering behind them vs you connecting some stuff from ebay.
I can't open those ebay links from here, so I have no more comments for now.

Promini regulator is only good for 150mA. I don't know if that's enough for the 4 devices.

None of what you selected has a USB/Serial chip, so nothing can transfer data over a wired connection to the PC.
Maybe you can establish a Bluetooth connection for that.

Thanks again for the response Crossroads.

Yes the usb i choosed is only for battery charging.

[newbie]
USB has Red black for power and white green for data ?

is it possible to hack the usb/serial chip module board (disconnect red and black and solder on bettery charging module) :smiley: ?
[/newbie]

I think i will give a try :smiley: jump into the deep waters!

Would be more durable to just plug in the correct cable.

immunity:
Thanks again for the response Crossroads.

Yes the usb i choosed is only for battery charging.

[newbie]
USB has Red black for power and white green for data ?

is it possible to hack the usb/serial chip module board (disconnect red and black and solder on bettery charging module) :smiley: ?
[/newbie]

I think i will give a try :smiley: jump into the deep waters!

I have had good luck with this device: Overview | Adafruit Pro Trinket LiPoly/LiIon Backpack | Adafruit Learning System

It does most of what you want: usb can be used to program the processor and for charging the battery. The only thing it does not do is provide a serial connection for data transfer, but it can be hacked to do that as well. Oh, and it solders to the board securely.