build it yourself arduino kit

Hi, I'm a VCE student in Australia and I'm doing a course in systems engineering where basically the major assessment for the entire year is the production of an integrated electronic and mechanical system. I'm totally new to all things arduino, and indeed electronics, but have been doing some research and definitely need a microcontroller of some type for my project. there is however one catch.... I have to 'build' the arduino myself. the thought of building one from complete scratch as i have seen on some instructables pages etc. kinda scares me to be totally honest! so i was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere/someway i could buy the components and a precut pcb so i could assemble it myself, in order to have the full functionality of something like the uno.

I'm open to suggestions of any kind, and would greatly appreciate the advice.

I presume "integrated electronic and mechanical system" means something that you plan to control with an Arduino?

If so there is no need to build an Arduino. All you need is the Atmega328 chip that is used in the Uno. See this tutorial.

If you can work with the chip running at 8MHz with its internal oscillator then it is extremely simple. It can do everything that a complete Arduino can do.

I would, of course, use an Uno for developing the system as it is so convenient to use with no need for soldering.

...R

Thank you so incredibly much.... That is PERFECT!!! And yes, the integrated system is a mechanical and electric system that will be controlled from the arduino.... Or rather the Atmega328. Thanks again, m

mightymarty: i was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere/someway i could buy the components and a precut pcb so i could assemble it myself, in order to have the full functionality of something like the uno.

Purchase an "Atmega-328 with Arduino bootloader" preloaded, then follow the steps shown here You can use an Atmega-328 although there is shown an Atmega-168, they are pin-compatible.

A PCB is not really needed. The design shown there is made that you program the Atmega-328 using an Arduino UNO board, then take the controller from the board and put it in your design.

If you need the "full functionality of the UNO" you will need in addition a "Serial-to-USB module" and connect it to the RX/TX pins of the controller. In that case you maybe won't use the 7805 voltage regulator as the USB-to-Serial module can provide 5V operating voltage from the USB.

H, I am suprised at VCE level, they want you to build the arduino basic unit. They should be letting you start with a Arduino UNO ready assembled with USB interface and ready to program. You then build the interface bits around it.

Being new to all things electronic and arduino, and not a lot of time to do it along with other studies, it worries me, (in Australia the VCE school time is ridiculously short.)

Please check with your teacher/supervisor about what is involved.

Tom....... :) Does your school have a electronics or arduino guru? Australia