Build moved from breadboard to perf no longer works

Hello everyone,

I moved my design (Image Below) from my breadboard to my perfboard and it is no longer functioning.

The purpose is to trip camera shutters using DO12 but signal doesn’t seem to be sending. I tried wiring directly from pin12 to the 3.5mm port and even that didn’t work.

Did I bork the board or something? I don’t have LEDs (in the mail) to test but I want to make sure I’m not missing something dumb.

If there’s more information that’s needed please let me know.

Thank you!

You have to make sure that all the node connections that had been made on bread-board between devices is exactly the same as is on this perf board.

This is when it can be an advantage to have the working bread-board version with you, and then proceed to make the perf board version with new components. This allows you to make cross-checks, such as to use a multimeter to see if a resistor's leg is indeed connected to other points in the circuit.

Also --- it's hard or impossible for checking your wiring ----- even if you were to show both sides of this board.

Can’t see what counts, the back side of board but of what I can see, that there is is some mighty suspicious soldering on those Nano pins.

Op’s Image:

The Nano pin soldering leaves something to be desired.

larryd:
The Nano pin soldering leaves something to be desired.

Leaving something to be desired is better than leaving nothing to be desired I guess. hahaha. only kidding.

You're right larry. Good eyes. I put some red arrows.

Those are the ones.

Maybe D8 also.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Will the crappy joints on the board - on pins that aren't being used - affect the ones that are being used?

Well we cannot see the soldering on the bottom.

If the power pins are not soldered properly, all hell breaks loose.

Here is the bottom!

I can't think of anything the other folks haven't said but some thoughts:

You should purchase a multimeter (volts , ohm etc) It doesn't have to be expensive but will be invaluable in this task and others.

When building breadboard, I always use connectors (sometimes called headers) for the board to the breadboard. Else if something goes wrong you've lost the board.

When you build a board like this go step at a time. I see you've wired the 4 optos but are only using one. With the multimeter, you could have tested the micro and buttons before continuing to wire the remaining parts.

You might find some thinner wire. Probably #24 or #26. I use silicone wire I bought on ebay. This wire is super flexible and doesn't melt when soldering.

Thanks John!

Still learning all of this, definitely will pick up multimeter asap.

I should have gone with 1 octo but I had 4 on my breadboard so I just transferred it all over.

I do have another nano so I'm going to start again if I can't get the perf one working.

To check the functionality of the controller put the “Blink” sketch into the Nano.

Change pin numbers as needed to check the hardware.

You can use a LED with 220R as a logic probe to see if the pins are working as per the sketch.

Unfortunately, I don't have any LEDs on hand, should have some tomorrow.

Is there anything I can do right now to test functionality?

You can do some Serial.prints to see if the controller functions.

You can do a:
digitalWrite(testPin, LOW);
Serial.println(digitalRead(testPin);
digitalWrite(testPin, HIGH);
Serial.println(digitalRead(testPin);
etc.

The above however does not check the pin level, however, you can tie an output pin to an input pin temporarily to check levels.

Okay, switched the high pin to D5 and connected directly and that worked.

Does that mean that my connection to D12 is just bad or is it possible that I borked the pin?

When I do the same test with D12 it does not work

Possibly.
Try pin D11

Okay, think I made some headway here.

D5 and D12 both work when I use a header to go from GND to the 3.5mm port.

So my ground connection is borked somewhere

Yes, using the board as originally pictured, but with a header from GND to further along my gnd line got it working.

So I think the problem is in the gnd line I have running from gnd to the top of the board

Sounds like a plan :slight_smile:

Did you have 4 optocouplers in parallel on the breadboard ?

ZX80,

Yes I did.

They will each have their own output via 3.5mm jack