Build my own Arduino Mega

First off - this is a great forum loaded with excellent info...

I am designing a switching matrix for use in conjunction with a Hipot Test Unit. Using the schematics available I incorporated the Arduino Mega 2560 Rev 3 hardware into my design so it is all on one PCB. Is it as simple as connecting the USB cable, loading the driver and then running "Burn Bootloader" from the arduino interface (after selecting the port & board type) to get the micro-controller ready for program downloading? This would be on Windows 7 if that matters. The package of these chips are such that it won't be possible to "Mock" up a circuit on a bread board - a PCB would be required; so I am trying save my company the expense of having to build mock up pcb's to test the communication. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Cory

coryfoss603: First off - this is a great forum loaded with excellent info...

I am designing a switching matrix for use in conjunction with a Hipot Test Unit. Using the schematics available I incorporated the Arduino Mega 2560 Rev 3 hardware into my design so it is all on one PCB. Is it as simple as connecting the USB cable, loading the driver and then running "Burn Bootloader" from the arduino interface (after selecting the port & board type) to get the micro-controller ready for program downloading? This would be on Windows 7 if that matters. The package of these chips are such that it won't be possible to "Mock" up a circuit on a bread board - a PCB would be required; so I am trying save my company the expense of having to build mock up pcb's to test the communication. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Cory

You will need a ISP programmer to get the boot loader on there initially, then you can program it via the usb-serial adapter. You can use another arduino or various inexpensive programmers to get the initial boot loader in place.

Can use a board from schmartboard.com for a prototype. $10
http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=products_qfp&id=70
Add crystal/caps or a resonator, 10K reset pullup resistor, some 0.1uF decoupling caps, and you’re ready to go.

Check the pin pitch on the '2560 datasheet, make sure this is the right one. Might need 0.65mm instead. Don’t think its 0.8mm.

Once you're wired up, NickGammon has a great write up on getting the bootloader installed. http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

I have an Atmel AVR ISP MKii that I use. $34 at mouser.com

So long as you include the isp headers for both the 16u2 and meg2560, you will be fine you can program them after they are installed so long as those pins don't have heavy loads or something that could interfere