Building a 500W rate table for Gyro calibration

Hi Everyone

I want to build a rate table, to calibrate mems Gyros. I did some basic sizing, and decided on a 500W DC motor. I would like the rpm of the table to change like a sine wave, if necessary, so that i can get the frequency response of the gyro.

For closed loop control, i am thinking of using an optical encoder and a pid controller(on Arduino) that controls rpm using pwm. I would also like to log all data from the table and the Gyro onto an SD card and am thinking of this option http://www.chipstobits.com/blog/storage-shield/

I understand that this power is way more than what people normally use an Arduino for Any comments/suggestions/thoughts are all welcome.

Thanks Sam p.s.--To be jargon free, a rate table is just a circular disk that rotates 'almost exactly' at a user desired rpm

Actually, that’s not much, really-- less than 5 Amps at 120v.

There’s some real experts her on this sort of thing, your project isn’t out of scope for Arduino at all. You’ll probably end up using a TRIAC or a pair of SCR’s, some kind of rotation rate sensor (hall effect sensors come to mind), have no fear… not as big a monster as you might think (judging by other’s projects and my own…)

Which is a better option for measuring rpm? a)Hall effect sensor or b)rotary encoder

I am thinking of a 500W, brushless DC motor. Will a triac work for a DC motor? What about the motor controller? Where do the triac/scr come in? Sorry if these questions are all elementary, but this is the first time i am building some electronic thing and want to be sure, before i go out and buy things.

aerosam: Which is a better option for measuring rpm? a)Hall effect sensor or b)rotary encoder

Either can used. Encoder must be use if table is to be bidirectional rotation.

I am thinking of a 500W, brushless DC motor. Will a triac work for a DC motor?

No. Triacs work for only AC motors 500W, brushless DC motor best controlled with a compatible ESC (electronic speed controller) motor controller, then the Arduino can control the ESC using simple servo commands.

What about the motor controller? Yes, find a compatable DC motor controller, called ESC, to control speed of your DC motor.

Where do the triac/scr come in?

Used for to control power to AC devices.

A mosfet can be used for a DC motor.