Building a completely DIY RC plane with arduino

Hi All,

I'm planning to make a complete DIY RC plane. But I'm new to aerodynamics, RC plane material and the design aspects. I need your guidance to make it successful. What i need to know are:
What kind of material is best for making the plane?
comparing the price and ease of availability which is better material, I planned to make it with thermocol, sticking two layer of thermocol and placing some strong material for rigidity in between? Is it possible? Are thermocol good to make the air foil shape?

What should be the minimum rating of the BLDC i need to select?
Which will be the cheaper and better power source for the electronics?
Help me to get a proper design of the wings, shape, fuselage?
Where should i put the motor? in the fuselage or two motors below the wings?? which is better and easy?
what all kind of settings should be included to get a flexible control?
And also about the propeller.

I would like to continue this discussion till my design complete, so people who want help for this subject can refer from this, so kindly put your suggestion. :slight_smile:
Thank You

I would strongly suggest starting with a kit for a high winged electric trainer, flying with rudder and elevator. Learn to fly, trim and test the plane using standard RC, then attempt to incorporate a home built RC system. I'm not saying you can't do what you plan, making everything from scratch and having never flown an RC plane have success, but I would try to do it in baby steps and with a proven airframe first. There are some good starter kits with foam fusilage and wings, or even stick fusilage and foam wings like an Ugly Stick. Ugly sticks are easy to fly and can carry large payloads. The high wing design makes them self righting and not requiring ailerons. You can pretty much fly them with the elevator, level it out at altitude, then turn to keep in close. A good beginner design.

Edit: additional info - look at a GWS Slow stick. Perhaps copy the simple design or buy a kit.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I have checked the link and that is comparatively affordable kit price.
What kind of material can be used for the wings other than the blasa wood?
Can you suggest me some basics about flying the RC planes, and also the design aspects to be considered.

The only scratch built, "alternative materials" DIY type plane I've built was a corroplast Debonair, powered by a 40 size glow engine. It used yardsticks in the corroplast wings, and plastic gutter pipe for the fueselage. Heavy!

I have friends who build DIY planes for cheap from foam poster board. If the plane, power plant and payload is very light, even flat fueselages and wings will fly. Think paper airplane. They call these foamy "profile planes". They typically have some carbon fiber rods to stiffen the wings and fueselage.

I'm not sure how light you can build your arduino plane. All my electric planes, even the one's with 40 inch wingspans use micro 7 gram servos. The bigger gas planes use full size servos.

The whole project, powerplant, control system and aircraft need to in proportion when it comes to weight. Maybe start out with building the electronics and get an idea of the minimum weight, then decide on the power plant (gas or electric) and wing size.

Browse the build videos on the Flite Test channel on YouTube and you will get plenty of ideas about materials and building.

What part do you expect the Arduino to play in your project ?