Building a new house. IDEAS?

Hi Folks.
I’m building a new house in Vancouver, BC. The house is currently in the Framing stage and I’m want to run the main floor lighting using Arduino and Low voltage key pads to control the lighting as well as WIFI. I’m having the electricians wire all the lights to a closet. In this closet i plan to pull CAT 5 cable to 3 keypads. The main floor is about 1400sq feet. Almost all the lights on the main floor are pot lights. Some will be running low voltage. I’m just learning arduinos and programming them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone locally wants to help please contact me. kweese1@yahoo.com

I also plan to build the theatre room controls into a wall covered by a cabinet door for the speakers.

one tip,
place extra tubes (1") to starategic locations in the house so you can add extra wires later.
Also lay (spare) tubes to your kitchen garden (at least to the outside wall), veranda garage etc for future use

Is it not for Arduino cabling you can use it for additional cabling to wifi nodes.

Also make tubes to the doors so you can sense the state of a door or optionally add servo's to automatically open / close doors like in star-trek.

i'm going to be putting cat 5 cable to most of the light switches. and thermostats.

I’ve built a circuit using a SRD-05vdc-SL-C as the relay connected as normally OPEN:
i’m using a push button.

I modified the BUTTON tutorial. however, Something is wrong.
Can someone help me troubleshoot?

i am trying to use this sketch:

/*Button
Turns on and off a RELAY SWITCH connected to digital
pin 13, when pressing a pushbutton attached to pin 2.

The circuit:

• RELAY attached from pin 11 to ground
  • pushbutton attached to pin 2 from +5V
  • 10K resistor attached to pin 2 from ground

created 2005
by DojoDave http://www.0j0.org
modified 30 Aug 2011
by Tom Igoe

This example code is in the public domain.

*/

// constants won’t change. They’re used here to
// set pin numbers:
const int buttonPin = 2; // the number of the pushbutton pin
const int relayPin = 11; // the number of the relay pin

// variables will change:
int buttonState = 0; // variable for reading the pushbutton status

void setup() {
// initialize the relay pin as an output:
pinMode(relayPin, OUTPUT);
// initialize the pushbutton pin as an input:
pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT);
}

void loop(){
// read the state of the pushbutton value:
buttonState = digitalRead(buttonPin);

// check if the pushbutton is pressed.
// if it is, the buttonState is HIGH:
if (buttonState == HIGH) {
// turn RELAY on:
digitalWrite(relayPin, HIGH);
}
else {
// turn RELAY off:
digitalWrite(relayPin, LOW);
}
}

Hm. You are hijacking your own thread. ....

kweese:
The circuit:

• RELAY attached from pin 11 to ground

This is on a breakout board (transistor/flyback diode/etc.) right? Not just a bare relay – which would be bad.

Respect the wiring code rules! May be use X-10 (CSA approved) and use the Arduino as a controller.

I've always wondered this. If you're going to one day sell this house, what happens to all the Arduino stuff? You could leave it, but when it fails, what happens?

X-10 units can be controlled by a remote so when you sell leave a remote and take the Arduino.

Another note, can you get insurance on a house which you have wired up the way you want?

Wnt2bsleepin: I've always wondered this. If you're going to one day sell this house, what happens to all the Arduino stuff? You could leave it, but when it fails, what happens?

Standard procedure when wiring a house is to make it so there are no single points of failure. Each fixture is pig-tailed so that one failure doesn't take out an entire circuit. It would probably be a good idea to wire the relays in the same way you wire 3-way switches. That way the lights can still be operated manually. Another option is to use a removable device that sits between each fixture. Then you just take the device with you when you leave.

Can I ask you how much money did you spend for the workers for this project? I know the prices may not be relevant today, but at least the amount will not be lower now. Thank you.

Hello my friend! All your building plans are great, but didn’t you plan to ensure your house? Sometimes it can help you save much money and time. My sister-in-law had an unpleasant incident because of defective power supply. This incident could have turned into a real tragedy, but thank’s God only the house has been damaged. Her insurance company totally reimbursed the costs and expenses. She used Compare Cheap Home Insurance Quotes - Money Expert service when searching for the suitable company. Tace care about your house and all your goods, maybe you will find this information useful.