Building automatic irrigation system

Hello Expert,

i want to build an automatic irrigation system. I have googled it but they are mostly for room plants. but here i want to make it for 15000sq/ft land .all i want for now its Just need to water 12 coconut tree and most probably in feature i will be adding more plants. So i was asking could u guys give some ideas about component and sensors what i will be needing just like electronic dripper and soil moisture sensor.as i am totally new to irrigation i have no idea about it so your help is much appreciated.

thanks in advance

What is your water source? If it is off the mains, you can use standard irrigation solenoids. You will need some professional help in sizes of feeder pipes and pressure requirements for the larger area.

Initially simply use standard pressure solenoids and 19mm (3/4 inch) polypipe. The solenoids use 24Vac so use a relay to switch them.

You will need a RTC and learn to program the alarms.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: What is your water source? If it is off the mains, you can use standard irrigation solenoids. You will need some professional help in sizes of feeder pipes and pressure requirements for the larger area.

Initially simply use standard pressure solenoids and 19mm (3/4 inch) polypipe. The solenoids use 24Vac so use a relay to switch them.

Weedpharma

Underground tank of 3000 ltr is my water source which will be automatically maintained via probe level sensor. and i was thinking to use Soil moisture sensor along with RTC as i already ordered both Ds1307 and sensor and in feature i will be adding GSM. what do u mean by standard pressure solenoid ? i had gone to my nearest electric shop and there are two variet high pressure and low pressure

And do i require irrigation dripper ?

can we use this solenoid also ? http://www.amazon.in/Expert-Aqua-Solenoid-Valve-24V/dp/B00GUBXDQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427650609&sr=8-1&keywords=solenoid+valve

weedpharma: What is your water source? If it is off the mains, you can use standard irrigation solenoids. You will need some professional help in sizes of feeder pipes and pressure requirements for the larger area.

Weedpharma

agreed, go to lowes or home depot in the US

saifkazi: Underground tank of 3000 ltr is my water source which will be automatically maintained via probe level sensor. and i was thinking to use Soil moisture sensor along with RTC as i already ordered both Ds1307 and sensor and in feature i will be adding GSM. what do u mean by standard pressure solenoid ? i had gone to my nearest electric shop and there are two variet high pressure and low pressure

And do i require irrigation dripper ?

can we use this solenoid also ? http://www.amazon.in/Expert-Aqua-Solenoid-Valve-24V/dp/B00GUBXDQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427650609&sr=8-1&keywords=solenoid+valve

How do you intend to get the water from the tank to the trees? Pump?

Go to your local irrigation supplier and find out what you need in the way of equipment. Then you can make your own controller.

This forum is more for controls rather than irrigation.

Weedpharma

weedpharma: How do you intend to get the water from the tank to the trees? Pump?

Go to your local irrigation supplier and find out what you need in the way of equipment. Then you can make your own controller.

This forum is more for controls rather than irrigation.

Weedpharma

i was thinking to install solenoid valve in tank

You say you have an underground tank and want to use a solenoid valve to get it out. This suggests to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

How are you going to connect a solenoid that requires pressure to operate, so that water will be moved from the tank to the trees??

Weedpharma

weedpharma: You say you have an underground tank and want to use a solenoid valve to get it out. This suggests to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

How are you going to connect a solenoid that requires pressure to operate, so that water will be moved from the tank to the trees??

Weedpharma

My underground tank is on height greater than trees and also I had leave an outlet pipe from tank for solenoid

Solenoids need a pressure that is usually higher than gravity feed pressure unless the tank is much higher than the solenoid. This means the solenoid has to be at the bottom of the hill, not at the tank.

What you need is a motorised ball valve such as

http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorized-ball-valve-G3-4-DN20-reduce-port-12V-2-way-electrical-valve-/271368783544

Weedpharma

There used to be a low pressure goyen valve, made for rural areas washing machine water inlet. Problem there is they were 240v AC.

Have a look at these links for an open source project: http://rayshobby.net/ http://www.opensprinkler.com/

It is a fully open source sprinkler system. You can build it yourself, buy a kit or buy it assembled.

You can then tweak it if you want, but at least it is a good working start including a web app.

--- bill

weedpharma: You say you have an underground tank and want to use a solenoid valve to get it out. This suggests to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Weedpharma

The piloted solenoid valves are the only type that require incoming pressure to operate. Regular solenoid valves will work for the OP project.

From experience, he needs to find a way to ensure the system shuts down when something springs a leak. Like a pressure loss detector. Mine has saved the day several times, but it is a pump driven system running 20-30 psi.

Paul

Paul, please post a link to low pressure solenoid valves. I also need to run a gravity reticulation system.

Weedpharma

Weedpharma

I got all my solenoid valves off Ebay. Mine are all 2" and are piloted. Only kind available at 2". 120 volt coil.

But I have a bunch at the plant that were used with the cooling system on an old plastic injection machine cooling system. They are all just on/off with no pilot system. They all worked fine with just gravity pressure or low pressure pump.

What size are your distribution lines?

My home irrigation system is not computerized. Just float switches, the solenoid valves, a pressure switch for safety and a timer to turn the system off at a set time. All that and the pump run off 120 volts. A separate solenoid valve and float switch controls the 1,000 gallon tank fill from the well. Also, there is a separate overflow switch to stop the well water flow if the tank gets too full and the first float switch gets hung up.

Paul

My use is gravity feed from about 5m plus water level in 2300ltr tank. It needs to run off 12v as I am off grid and don't live onsite.

I need up to 1" line.

My system is to pump water from dam to tank with petrol pump as required and gravity feed to garden.

I am looking at using the motorised valve in the link next summer (November).

Weedpharma

Weedpharma

That would be a pretty efficient system. Watched over by an Arduino, I presume. If you get a chance, add a flow indicator right after the motorized valve. They are basically tachometers. This will give you indications of several situations. 1, the valve did open. 2. the valve did close. 3. there is water in your tank. 4. the irrigation line has broken and all your water is quickly running out. Perhaps others.

Would be nice to find a solenoid valve that would toggle on, then toggle off, so power would not be wasted holding the valve open. Never seen one, however.

Paul

Well, well, they do have latching solenoid valves. You might consider this in place of your motorized ball valve.

http://stores.ebay.com/valves4projects/1-Thread-/_i.html?_fsub=544938119

Run off 5 volts rather than 12.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I have one latching solenoid that works on 12v. It however requires pressure to operate.

I would also like to irrigate trees on the same level as the tank so will need to use the motorised valve.

I managed to recycle a few flow meters (manual) so will be able to see how much water has been flowing. Knocking on the side of the tank will let me know the level.

My Arduino will be a simple alarm clock turning on and off at set times every x days.

Weedpharma

Do you have problems with algae growing in your tank?

I have to clean every Spring after letting the tank dry all Winter/Fall. Then add 2 gallons of high strength bleach and fill the tank. Let it set for several days, then pump the water out into an old dry irrigation pond area. Then I can use it for the Summer. I really need to do this half way through the Summer, also.

Paul

My tank is green plastic and sits in the middle of a paddock in full sun in Australia. I have had it over 5 years and never cleaned it. The water comes from a dam that has relatively clear water and shows no sign of dirt or algae when used in my sink or shower. I use rainwater for drinking.

There is a little bit of algae on the surface of the plastic but none in the water. The tank is fully covered and only has a small inspection cover.

Your need to clean it would p... me off very quickly!

Weedpharma