Burn UNO bootloader directly to Duemilanove?

Hi I found my old Duemilanove and wondered if it will work with the UNO bootloader. A search here shows I can basically turn it into a UNO (with minor differences). The question now is: can I burn it directly using just the Duemilanove or will I need to use a programmer/my real UNO/Mega 2560 etc

Thanx

You need an ISP programmer. If you don't own a dedicated programmer you can use a spare Arduino board as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer.

OK thanks Pert. I was starting to suspect that. Just looking at the price of a 328P pre-burnt with UNO. It’s probably simpler to just swap it over and use the old processor in a project. I’m going to order an ISP programmer anyway. They’re cheaper than the processor

My recommendation is to buy a 6 pin USBasp programmer. You can get them for ~$3 USD w/ free shipping if you don't mind waiting for them to come from China. The 10 pin version of the USBasp will work too but you need to get a 10 pin to 6 pin adapter for it. None of my boards use the 10 pin ICSP header so I prefer to just use my 6 pin USBasp since the wider cable and adapter make my 10 pin USBasp more cumbersome to work with.

A dedicated ISP programmer is a very useful tool to have on hand. My USBasp lives on my desk and gets a ton of use!

I already have a cart running up at DX so I've added SKU 916548481 (well under $3). It's a 10 pin but it looks trivial to make a lead for 6 pin. Which programmer do you select for these no-name USB programmers?

I found a Raisonance RLink at work. It has a 2 x 7 pin header. Not sure if they can be adapted for the job. It's not listed in the devices in the IDE.

mega_arduous:
Which programmer do you select for these no-name USB programmers?

USBasp

mega_arduous:
I found a Raisonance RLink at work. It has a 2 x 7 pin header. Not sure if they can be adapted for the job. It's not listed in the devices in the IDE.

Those are for STMicroelectronics microcontrollers. Won't work for ATmega328P.

OK. Glad I didn't waste any time looking into the RLink.
Thanks for the help.

All went according to plan. I've relabeled the Duemilanove - "Duno" so I don't forget.
I also have a genuine Nano that never worked from day one. Re-flashing the bootloader fixed that as well.
Well worth the $1.99 investment

I'm glad to hear it worked. Enjoy!
Per

mega_arduous:
All went according to plan. I've relabeled the Duemilanove - "Duno" so I don't forget.
I also have a genuine Nano that never worked from day one. Re-flashing the bootloader fixed that as well.
Well worth the $1.99 investment

I know some people who boatload all 328p based boards as unos