Burn UNO with Leonardo board

Hello,

I've been having a problem uploading code to my Uno board. I am getting the (apparently common) error that my serial port cannot be found, and Tools > Serial Ports is greyed out. The regular fixes regarding drivers have not worked, and I've determined that my Uno needs it's bootloader reburned. All I have in the way of another board is a Leonardo.

From the documentation I can find, this should work. However, I've had no luck. I've followed the steps outlined on this page http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP and always receive the error

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I am aware of the need for a capacitor across Reset and GND on the Uno, but it was unclear if that was for the programming board or the target board. I've tried it with and without, no change in the result.

Do I need another Uno to burn onto the bricked Uno? Or am I missing something else?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Edit: I've also tried a few Leo specific fixes, such as modifying the ISP sketch and creating a new directory in the Hardware folder in the vein of Now, on your Arduino IDE folder:

1- Create a new folder in "hardware" with the name of leofix 2- Open a text editor and paste this code (picture 2):

arduinoispleo.name=Arduino as ISP (Leonardo) arduinoispleo.communication=serial arduinoispleo.protocol=arduino arduinoispleo.speed=19200

Save the file as programmers.txt

I'd seen a few solutions like this and not had any luck with them. Here I get the error:

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno" avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

How do I bypass this check? And/or would that help me at all?

Thanks again!

The SPI pins on the Leonardo are only found on the ICSP header. Find the instructions for programming the UNO by connecting five of the ICSP pins plus Pin 10 of the Leonardo to the six ICSP pins of the UNO.

The capacitor goes on the programming Arduino to keep it from resetting.

If you are going to be burning bootloaders more than a few times you might want to order an ISP device from eBay. Cheap clones of the USBasp and USBtinyISP are available for under $4 and about $5 respectively.

Ok, that makes sense. That might be the discrepancies I'm not figuring out in the layouts. Thanks so much!

I'll look into a dedicated ISP device.