I still haven't managed to make this work. I'm trying to program an ATTiny85 on Arduino 1.0.2 with a Leonardo, but I'm still stuck at the initial "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" problem.
I have quadruple-checked everything, I am doing everything exactly like the wrap-up that Peter posted (thank you for this BTW), but as this works for some of you, clearly there is something I have not understood yet. My ATTiny is hooked up to the Leonardo ICSP headers (MOSI, MISO, SCLK) and changed the ArduinoISP code to use pin 10 instead of SS, and VCC/GND from the Leonardo.
The symptom is still the same as before, it seems as if the serial connection simply isn't working.
I have built the circuit described in the ArduinoISP code, so I get the heartbeat/programming/error LEDs that the sketch uses. Only the heartbeat is fading in/out. I can trigger other LEDs (usually the error LED!) when writing "stuff" to the Serial Monitor, which is always set to 19200, never to the "magic" 1200 bauds that Peter describes on his page.
Here's exactly what I'm doing on the Arduino IDE (and I suspect somewhere here is where I do it wrong):
- Load the ArduinoISP code (previously modified with #define RESET 10).
- Make sure the 1.0.2 IDE is set to use "Arduino Leonardo" as a current board.
- Upload the ArduinoISP sketch via the Upload button.
- Watch the Arduino Leonardo reboot, wait for the heartbeat LED to pulse.
- Load the Blink code, set the blink pin to 0.
- Make sure the IDE is set to use "ATTiny85 @ 1MHz"
- Upload the Blink sketch via the Upload button.
- After several seconds, I get the avrdude error.
I have also tried "Upload using programmer" with no change in behavior, and the IDE "Programmer" menu is set to "Arduino as ISP".
In the boards.txt for the ATTiny, the upload method is set like this (the default):
(I am using the ATTiny support from http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/)
I have pretty much exhausted all options, can anyone point me in the right direction? Since it works for some people I am sure I'm doing something stupid, but for the life of me I can figure out what!