Burning Arduino bootloader onto ATMEGA328P - so many tutorials, which one?

Hello,
There's quite a few tutorials out there for burning the Arduino bootloader onto a fresh ATMEGA328P. The one I had been using, from Nick Gammon, doesn't seem to have the option of allowing me to change the fuses to optimize a board-duino that's battery powered running at 3.3V.

Specifically, I want to burn the bootloader with these settings:

1. disable brown out detection
  2. Use external crystal @ 8MHz

The tools I have: I have an Arduino Uno R3. I also have this FTDI adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3V-5-5V-FT232RL-FTDI-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Adapter-Module-for-Arduino-Mini-Port-/380717046158

From the Nick Gammon tutorial, I used an Uno to burn the bootloader onto a ATMEGA328P set up on a bread board.

I would like to re-burn the fuses on a couple of existing ATMEGA328P's that have already been burned using the Nick Gammon tutorial. Not sure if that's possible to do. Additionally, I accidentally got some ATMEGA328 (no P-PU). Can I use the exact same setup to burn the bootloader on these?

Thanks for any advice. If you've tried a tutorial, please send me a link, and if there were some missing steps or clarifications to the tutorial that you found, I'd appreciate the pointer.

FTDI adapter only talks to the serial port. Fuses are set via the SPI port with an AVR ISP Programmer (or a board programmed to mimic one).
Can you change the fuse values that Nick's programmer sketch uses?

Or tell it that you want to use a 3.3V 8 MHz Promini as the board type?
(not sure that takes out the brown out fuse tho).

CrossRoads:
FTDI adapter only talks to the serial port. Fuses are set via the SPI port with an AVR ISP Programmer (or a board programmed to mimic one).
Can you change the fuse values that Nick's programmer sketch uses?

Or tell it that you want to use a 3.3V 8 MHz Promini as the board type?
(not sure that takes out the brown out fuse tho).

...Looking at Nick's code, I'm don't know if I can just change something in the sketch to change the fuse settings. His sketch is pretty complicated - it looks at the chip of chip and gets the "correct" or preferred bootloader and fuse settings all at once.

Here's something. I looked at the fuse calculator here:
http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

It seems like the default Arduino Uno bootloader and fuse setting is to use an external crystal. The fuse settings for external crystal come in a few frequency ranges:

0.9 - 3.0 MHz
3.0 - 8 MHz
8 MHz

There is no 16MHz fuse setting for external crystal. Which means that the default fuse setting should work for either 8MHz or 16MHz external crystal - I just have to remove the 16MHz crystal and put in an 8MHz crystal.

Does that sound right?