burning arduino bootloader

hi peeps

how do i burn the arduino boot loader?

i notice i can get the same chips but without boot loader for about £1.50 less than with the boot loader

is it hard to do :-/ why the price hike

what do i need to do it

cheers ;D

You need something like an ICSP programmer to burn the bootloader. USBtinyISP - Inexpensive USB AVR Programmer

Are you going to use the chip with a breadboard setup and usb-ttl cable?

You could think about buying one chip with the pre-programmed bootloader - it’s easy enough to program more chips once you have a working arduino clone.

i already have several bootloaded atmega328's

i have been into arduinos for about a month now but have gone through about 8 chips already. i like to make a arduino clone on bread board and just use the board to upload to so after a while legs can get broken and stuff :-[

i think if it leaves me a bit of money to spend on other components then it can only be good with me learning how to do it.

is there no way i can use the ICSP pins on the arduino board you think?

Arduino rocks

Re: burning arduino bootloader
Reply #2 - Today at 07:41:54 i already have several bootloaded atmega328’s

i have been into arduinos for about a month now but have gone through about 8 chips already. i like to make a arduino clone on bread board and just use the board to upload to so after a while legs can get broken and stuff

is there no way i can use the ICSP pins on the arduino board you think?

If you have a running arduino/clone and a breadboard you can burn a bootloader pretty easily. this code http://code.google.com/p/mega-isp/ will run on an atmega and act as a programmer for another chip. The connections to make are described in the code and here http://hackaday.com/2009/07/15/avr-isp-programming-via-arduino/ is a description of a shield to simplify the connections.

There is also a technique called ftdi bit-bang which you could google but I think the avr-isp approach is a good learning experience.

and for pete’s sake, be gentle with those chips!