burning boot loader on imac

First, I want to say I have gotten this working on my PC.
Second, I am able to upload sketches on my iMac as long as the chip has a boot loader. So, this is what happens (on iMac)

First, I upload a sketch. Everything works.
In order to burn the boot loader I need to use version 1.0.1. I also need to replace the boards.txt file and the avrdude.conf file. I got these off of an instructable. Also, these files work when I use the Arduino 1.0.1 version for the PC.

First, I replace boards.txt and it shows the various board configurations. I can still upload sketches. Next, I replace avrdude.conf with the file I have included as an attachment and I can not longer upload sketches. I get

avrdude: parallel port access not available in this configuration
avrdude: error at /Users/me/Documents/Arduino/Arduino101.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf:727: programmer type not specified

What is wrong with this file that it only does not work on the iMac?

avrdude.conf (542 KB)

Why are you even attempting this? If the board has a bootloader, why try to burn another one?

Assuming there is a good reason, you need to have separate hardware to burn the bootloader, such as an USBtinyISP gadget. Do you have such a thing, and if so, which one?

Firstly, I can burn the boot loader on my PC. I need this because I have 10 blank atmega328 chips that I need for uploading sketches using my Duemilenova.

The question is more academic as to why I'm having issues with the iMac using the same software (except that is for the iMac) and the same hardware/breadboard setup.

Why are you changing the avrconf file?

imsmooth:
avrdude: parallel port access not available in this configuration

Well, OSX doesn't typically have a driver for parallel port. So maybe you should give us some context to what you're doing.

Simply saying you "replaced it with files that work on the PC" leaves out, what is different about those files in the first place.

More of the AVRDUDE output would also give context to the error message.

imsmooth:
The question is more academic as to why I'm having issues with the iMac using the same software (except that is for the iMac) and the same hardware/breadboard setup.

You haven't stated what ISP programmer you are using.

There are other ways of programming bootloaders, don't get too bogged down on this: