Burning bootloader ATmega2560.

Hello, I would like to know, if there is any recommendetaion about wether to use the arduino board as ISP or using an AVR ISP to burn a bootloader to an ATmega2560, I'm gonna use a socket for it to make some tests. But if there are any recommendation on using one method and not the other I would be thankful to know. And if there are any specific guide for doing it to the ATmega2560, I've seen the procedures, but not for this MCU.

Thanks in advance.

Use Nick Gammon's bootloader http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

Thanks for your reply CrossRoads.

-What is the main differences, or differences between the Nick Gammon's Bootloader and the one that is found in the Arduino IDE?

• I have an Arduino MEGA2560 instead of UNO, I have seen that the bootleader that comes in the IDE can work with MEGA as ISP, but does the Nick Gammon's bootloader work with it too? (excuse me for the dumb question)

-Can this be done (the Nick Gammon method), but using directly an AVRISP MKII instead of using the arduino as ISP?

1. Nick's works.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes, I use Atmel AVR ISP MKii for all my bootloading from the IDE. You would not use Arduino as intermediate device. Note that MKii does not provide power, it only monitors the level. You must provide power.

-Can this be done (the Nick Gammon method), but using directly an AVRISP MKII instead of using the arduino as ISP?

To be clear, NG's method is a sketch running on any arduino board, then wired to a target arduino board. No other programmer is or needs to be, involved. Nick's sketch is pretty intelligence in that it reads the target board's signature bytes so it knows which bootloader to burn into the target board as all the popular bootloader hex file data are already embedded in his sketch. It's a standalone solution, The IDE is then only used for it's serial monitor so you can interact with the sketch, answer questions and see the results.

To be clear, NG's method is a sketch running on any arduino board, then wired to a target arduino board. No other programmer is or needs to be, involved

Thanks retrolefty. My question was because I intend to program it directly from the IDE to the ATmega2560 via AVRISP MKII, and not use the Arduino MEGA as ISP.

What you mean is that once you download the Nick Gammon's bootloader to an arduino you don't need the IDE for programming the target device, right? just wire the board and the target device?

karkas:

To be clear, NG's method is a sketch running on any arduino board, then wired to a target arduino board. No other programmer is or needs to be, involved

Thanks retrolefty. My question was because I intend to program it directly from the IDE to the ATmega2560 via AVRISP MKII, and not use the Arduino MEGA as ISP.

What you mean is that once you download the Nick Gammon's bootloader to an arduino you don't need the IDE for programming the target device, right? just wire the board and the target the vice?

Well Nick's sketch does use the IDE's serial monitor to report progress and maybe a 'hit a key' to begin, it's been awhile sense I've used it.