Burning bootloader into a ATMEGA328-PU blank chip?

Hi! I would like to burn the bootloader of ATMEGA328-PU ARDUINO CHIP into a blank ATMEGA328-PU ?

what is the procedure? any .hex file available for burning into a blank chip?

thank you so much! marC:)

nodoubtman:
Hi! I would like to burn the bootloader of ATMEGA328-PU ARDUINO CHIP into a blank ATMEGA328-PU ?

what is the procedure? any .hex file available for burning into a blank chip?

thank you so much!
marC:)

If you are going to be using the Atmel chips regularly, I suggest either buying an [u]Atmel AVRISP Mark II[/u] (best), or an [u]AVRISP shield[/u] which allows you to use an Arduino UNO board as a programmer.

Note that with the AVRISP “shield” (adapter), you need an Arduino UNO to program another Arduino board.

It works like this:

[YOUR PC]—>[USB CABLE]—>[ATMEL AVRISP MKII]---->[DEVICE TO BE BURNED]

–or–

[YOUR PC]—>[USB CABLE]—>[ARDUINO UNO]—>[AVRISP SHIELD]----->[DEVICE TO BE BURNED]

You CANNOT do this:

[YOUR PC]—>[USB CABLE]---->[DEVICE TO BE BURNED]

What either of these solutions do for you is give you a module ending in a 6 pin ribbon cable and connector. You plug that connector into your Arduino board (or any other ISP compatible device) and use AVRDUDE or Atmel AVR Studio to transfer (“burn”) the code into your chip.

Please note that you must use one of these methods… you cannot burn the bootloader into the 328P chip directly.

A third method is to buy an Arduino proto-shield and wire up your own (see this link for more info): Manufacturing tools - stand-alone AVR ISP programmer

However, by the time you buy a proto shield, a ZIF socket and the other parts, then do the work, you are cheaper off buying the Sparkfun kit or the Atmel programmer.

Hope this helps!

(edit to add): If you buy BOTH the Atmel programmer AND the Sparkfun ISP shield, then there is a third thing you can do: You can connect the Atmel programmer to the Sparkfun ISP shield (NOT plugged into an Arduino) and burn chips by plugging them into the ZIF socket of the Sparkfun board and burning them with the Atmel programmer! I do this all the time.

Like this:

[YOUR PC]—>[USB CABLE]—>[ATMEL PROGRAMMER]—>[SPARKFUN ISP]<—device(s) to be burned

Look for optiloader writen by westfw. I burned bootloader on over 200 chips. 9 seconds per chip. Make sure you get the ATMEGA328P-PU, not a single character different in the part number. You do need to set up some circuit.

liudr: Look for optiloader writen by westfw. I burned bootloader on over 200 chips. 9 seconds per chip. Make sure you get the ATMEGA328P-PU, not a single character different in the part number. You do need to set up some circuit.

There are several different bootloaders "out there", but any one still needs the ISP hardware to work.