Burning bootloader to ATMEGA 328P-PU

Hi guys, recently I bought new processor ATMEGA 328P and I tryed to burn bootloader to it with my arduino uno but I cant get it to work. Really, I tryed hard but every tutorial what I found didnt work for me, usually IDE said:
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check..
Have some of you something what can help? How should I do it? Im begginer in this so I dont know how to do it. Thanks for any help.

I suggest you try Nick Gammon's bootload installer sketch. http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard or http://www.gammon.com.au/bootloader

Thanks, I tried but still it didnt work I think chip might be broken or something like this. Its still giving me this error message: Atmega chip detector. Written by Nick Gammon. Version 1.12 Compiled on Mar 10 2015 at 14:02:20 with Arduino IDE 106. Attempting to enter programming mode ...................................................... Failed to enter programming mode. Double-check wiring!

Double check wiring! I presume to say that in 90% of similar cases solved here on this forum the problem is in circuit.

I took some photos. I dont think you can see everything but if it can help…
Please look at these I wasnt able to put it hele like img: DSC_0012.JPG - Google Drive
DSC_0011.JPG - Google Drive
DSC_0014.JPG - Google Drive
DSC_0013.JPG - Google Drive

Wojta: Hi guys, recently I bought new processor [u]ATMEGA 328P[/u] and I [u]tryed to burn bootloader[/u] to it with my [u]arduino uno[/u] but I [u]cant get it to work[/u]. Really, I tryed hard but every tutorial what I found didnt work for me, usually IDE said: avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.. Have some of you something what can help? How should I do it? Im begginer in this so I dont know how to do it. Thanks for any help.

Where did you get the new 328P from? If you buy one "right from the factory" it comes with the internal oscillator enabled which will allow you to use it or program is as-is. If it's been "pulled" from an Arduino board or if you bought one with "bootloader pre-installed" then it will need an external clock source (either a crystal or else a 4 or 8 mhz square wave derived from one of your UNO board's digital outputs. It's probably easier just to stick a crystal into your breadboard. The frequency doesn't matter. A 4, 8 or 16 MHz crystal will work.

I bough it without bootloader and anything like that. Please look at this link: Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : How to make an Arduino-compatible minimal board
I tried it like that and I havent crystal so he in tutorial wrote: As an alternative to a crystal or resonator, the revised version of the sketch outputs a 8 MHz clock on pin D9 of the programming board. Thus you just need to connect D9 on the programming board to pin 9 of the target board and this will provide a clock signal, enough for you to upload the bootloader and change the fuses. so I did it.

Your circuit looks ok since pictures are blurred on some places. Only resistor I hope it's 10k and capacitors with unknown value for me but it is not crucial. Even though somewhere can be poor contact there. You can do some diagnostic with voltmeter. Vcc of course. Reset could move to zero direction visibly at the bootload begining (50ms pulse ) otherwise Vcc. Clock signal should be about 2.5V DC if it is present etc. And try to reload ISP sketch to Arduino. And last thing crossed my mind is invalid signature - zero or some data which could be meaningful? Switch on the verbose mode during upload in preferences to obtain output.

Hi,

If you want to burn the bootloader with arduino isp on a ATMEGA 328P-PU tqfp size chip (like the one from Farnell: #1715486.)

Do the following:

1. Wire correctly
  2. Choose your board from witch you will upload like a arduino uno
  3. upload the sketch “arduino ISP”
  4. Choose the Arduino nano w/ ATmega328 from the board menu before burning the bootloader
  5. click on “burn bootloader”

I often have problems burning the bootloader, because the wires are wired correctly but do not make good contact.

Make shure your wires are correct and try again, if this does not work try holding the wires in an other position. This always helped me.

no puedo cargar el gestor de arranque, me da este error:

avrdude: AVR device not responding avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F

avrdude done. Thank you.

Please Help, I am making standalone atmega328p-au smd version. I brought IC and soldered on my own board with reset and crystal ckt. The board is detected by AVR programmer by SPI protocol using avrdude but when I try to upload boot-loader or any sketch using avrdude it shows rc=-1 error and then after never detected. I also checked using Arduino UNO board as programmer but giving signature error. What should I do??