Burning bootloader to ATmega328-PU

I have an Arduino UNO R3. I have programmed it to use as an In-system programmer.

Now I have an Amtel ATmega328-PU which is without picoPower Technology. I have made a circuit on breadboard which is used to burn bootloader to such chips as given in the official Arduino website.
I have used 16MHz crystal with 22pF capacitors also. The circuit is exactly same as given in the official website. But the problem occurs in the software part.

After googling about the way to bootload Amtel ATmega328-PU chip, I did all the steps but no gain.

1. I changed the avrdude.conf file as given in an instructable but got an error:-

avrdude: Device signature=0x00000(retrying)
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature
Double check connections or use -F to override this check.

1. I changed the boards.txt file also but the process didn't start only. I shows "Didn't found bootloader.log"

Please help me as I am not able to bootload the chip anyway. Or else I will loose a lot from my pocket money. Please help!!!!

That error indicates that you've connected the chip improperly or have set it to use an external crystal but have not connected one (for example, if you correctly connect a virgin chip to ISP programmer, and burn bootloader as Uno without connecting crystal). Check all connections again.

All the connections are similar to the Image in the official Arduino website. The crystal is connected to IC pins 9 and 10. Do you mean to say that the crystal is bad or the breadboard is bad. Also I have given the 2 22pF capacitors from GND to the crystal pins. Please help.

Please link to the schematic you are using.

There are a lot of terrible guides with inaccurate information. I think one of the ones on the official site omits the decoupling caps, for example.

Which third party board definitions are you using to add support for the '328(non-P)? IIRC out of the box the IDE does not support the non-P '328. I recommend minicore.

The link is: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

And what is Minicore and how to get and use that.

Minicore, an add in to the IDE to add more flexibility

Can anyone tell me what are decoupling caps and how to set them up. I think the official website has already done those and my circuit is the very clone of that set up of the official website. Thank you.

OK. By the way, how to put on those decoupling capacitors on. Any diagram will be appreciated. And further, currently, for bootloading purpose I am using Arduino Uno's 5V power supply on board which is connected to my PC.

Helo… I want to ask a question…I burnt the boot loader first using aurdiuno uno to atmega328 and after that is started communication using cp2102…but when I apply the dc source battery of 5 volt the controller doesnot response…but if I use cp2102’s supply it responses…can anyone help me…?

Well Umar111,how did you do that boatload to ATmega328-PU. Can you post it with full explanation.

This is how I wire up a chip for programming. If you have a programmer (I use AVR ISP MKii myself, and I have used Atmega8A based USBASP programmers in the past - everyone should have a basic programming tool) then wire up a 2x3 male header with flying leads on one side to connect to your breadboard and then you can plug your programmer onto the header. Do the same for and FTDI header, a 1x6 male header with flying leads on one side to connect to your breadboard and then you can plug your FTDI Basic onto the header for Serial downloads.

I took it a step further and wired up 2 perfboards with the headers on them and ZIF sockets (zero insertion force) so I can plug/ unplug parts without bending up pins.

One board is used for 40 pin DIPs (Atmega1284 family) and one for 28 pin DIPs (Atmega328 family).

This is the 40-pin board before I soldered the ZIF socket to the socket pins.
At the top left are screw terminals for connecting a 3xAA battery pack, the 2x3 ICSP header is next to it,
lower down is a 1x6 female header that has a 2x6 male-male plugged into it so I can plug on a female-header equipped FTDI Basic.
You can see the Reset pullup resistor, VCC 0.1uF, two 22p caps in one header block, with the DTR 0.1uF cap to their left, and on the other side of the chip the Aref 0.1uF cap and the AVCC 0.1uF cap.

The female headers are occasional use of this as uC for test circuits.
My 28-pin DIP setup is similar. Only for 28 pins vs 40.

I generally don’t use the Diode in parallel with the Reset pullup, it does help when there is a Reset switch to keep high voltage spikes off the Reset pin.

Thank you CrossRoads. I will soon publish my results by testing it in your way. And if you can please post the back view of the perfboard. And one more question which core(is it MiniCore or Optiboot) did you use for burning the bootloader. After I have finished burning the bootloader how do we fed it with a code using the Serial-TTL cable.

Tried all the ways but again no gain. Please help.

I have the same problem while uploading to atmega328, one suggestion I found is to use older version of ARDUINO IDE like 1.0.1 , let's have a check...

mahdev24, to inform you, I have tried that way also as posted in one of the instructables.

None of the ways working. Should I buy a new one. I have even soldered the components to perfboard to avoid any loose connection. But still no gain. Please help. I think I should go for a new crystal or a programmer or a new mcu. Any suggestions.

OK finally the problem is solved. Actually my 16MHz crystal was not working. I replaced it with another one and it works just fine. Thanks to everyone in this topic who gave contributions to me. I suggest, that if anybody has such kind of problem, they should go for another crystal after 2 days of continuous try as their last attempt. A MCU is very much checked before it is launched in the shops.