Burning Bootloader troubles.....

Hello all,

So, after blowing up my USBtinyISP chip and Adafruit graciously throwing in another with some other stuff I ordered, I got my USBtinyISP working… I think.

Drivers seem to work and I have steady green light on USBtinyISP.

I’ve tried a couple of methods of burning the bootloader to the ATMEGA328 with no success (meaning I can’t load Blink).

I found using the command line AVRDUDE.exe daunting and after reading some other posts found the avrdude-GUI which at first seemed to be right up my alley.

No luck.

Using Arduino - 0014 to burn the bootloader set to use the USBtinyISP, I get the RED led lit and after some time, get a fail message of:

USB write error: expected 128, got -5
USB read error: expected 4, got -5
repeated many times…
then…
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0xff != 0x0c
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong here?

-------------update: additional info -----------------

I get this too using the avrdude.exe:

C:\Documents and Settings\Tom>avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK
avrdude done. Thank you.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I'm having some troubles with bootloader burning, but I can tell you one thing that will make avrdude not do anything:

You need to specify a program if you want to upload, otherwise avrdude just checks the chip.

i think you want something like C:>avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p -U (your hex file here)

this thread worked for me

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1239958070

I've always had problems burning the bootloader from the IDE. Usually have had better luck using AVR Studio and burning the bootloader *.hex file from the hardware directory.

See this article for a walkthrough on the 168, I think there's a similar one for the 328 too if that's what you're using.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/Burn168