burning fuse bits - is it worth a separate command in the menu?

Hi folks,

Recently I have learned I am not the only one to use "Burn bootloader" command to change the fusebits. It works, it is easy, but is it really necessary to burn bootloader with each fusebit change? Won't it make sense to add a separate command "Change fuse bits" to the menu?

Or am I missing something and it is a bad idea?

The Arduino IDE is intended to be very beginner friendly. Part of this is avoiding adding unnecessary UI elements. This is an action that many people never do and even most of those that do, rarely. You save a few seconds by not unnecessarily burning the bootloader but I really don't think it's worth the extra UI complexity.

You always have the option of using AVRDUDE directly. It should also be possible to add a custom Tools menu item via boards.txt; something like "Set fuses only: Yes, No". The coolest thing would be to create a custom Java tool that people can add to their sketchbook to add the "Burn Fuse Bits" Tools menu item. The Arduino IDE does support this sort of thing, see Adding File Dialog in boards.txt - #4 by pert - Libraries - Arduino Forum for more information, but I have never messed with that at all so I don't know whether it's possible to access the fuse values of the currently selected board from a tool.

pert:
Part of this is avoiding adding unnecessary UI elements.

That's a good argument.

You always have the option of using AVRDUDE directly.

Yes, and that's what I did on several occasions in the past, but since I found I can just do things from the menu, without checking the syntax of the command line arguments, I never bothered to go back that route again.