Burning skethes with AVRISPmk II

I probably broke a serial port of a card. Now I want to test the main processor, I might not even need the serial port at all, if it is possible to upload sketches with the ISP programmer.

Currently the Arduino IDE complains about missing serial port. I have chosen the ISP programmer in the IDE but the IDE wants that serial port.

I have to post some hints of what I'm looking for. Arduino IDE does not use the AVRISPmk II programmer even though it is plugged in. I found some complicated ways to fix this, but I think there was a simpler way. You had to find a well hidden configuration file and change it to tell the IDE that it should use an ISP programmer device.

But I not sure what file and setting it was, or if the file even exists. What does the file boards.txt do?

LMI:
I have to post some hints of what I’m looking for. Arduino IDE does not use the AVRISPmk II programmer even though it is plugged in. I found some complicated ways to fix this, but I think there was a simpler way. You had to find a well hidden configuration file and change it to tell the IDE that it should use an ISP programmer device.

But I not sure what file and setting it was, or if the file even exists. What does the file boards.txt do?

Look in the IDE File menu. You should see a selection of upload using programmer option. This allows the IDE to upload a sketch via a hardware programmer by using a programmer you select under the tool menu.

You may have to install the MKii driver - it can be found in the IDE folder with this file avrisp2.inf

With the MKii plugged in, check its status in Device Manager, make sure it shows up okay (no ! across it) and NOT with Jungo driver (from Atmel Studio), Arduino can't use that one, it must be something like libusb32 (I don't have mine next to me to check it). MKii will not power the board, it only monitors the Vcc level being used (5V or 3.3). The board must be powered from another source.

Thank you both for your help. I needed both well hidden inf-file and that upload command in file menu. Processor is still not working, but I can atleast program it.