Burning the Bootloader with Arduino v1.0.1

Hello,

currently I am trying to use Arduino IDE v1.0.1 to burn bootloaders onto my Atmega328-PU following this tutorial:

A number of questions resulted from the experiments:

1. How would I burn the bootloader with Arduino as IPS? There seems to be no 'Tools > Burn Bootloader > w/ Arduino as ISP' option in Arduino 1.0.1 and probably in the later version too!

2. Is Arduino only using the programmer when I explicitly tell it to do so using File -> 'Upload with Programmer'?

3. What is the standard setting for the Programmer when I just want to program my arduino the standard way (without another arduino as IPS)? Meaning now I want to go back to programming the Arduino: What programmer should I set it to?

Advice and clarification is greatly appreciated. I guess I fried some chips in the process already... :frowning:

1. How would I burn the bootloader with Arduino as ISP?

Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP'
Tools > Burn Bootloader

1. Is Arduino only using the programmer when I explicitly tell it to do so using File -> 'Upload with Programmer'?

No, it also uses that setting for Burn Bootloader

1. What is the standard setting for the Programmer when I just want to program my Arduino the standard way (without another Arduino as ISP)?

When you upload a sketch the normal way the Programmer setting is ignored.

A while ago I started making my own Arduino derivatives and had success burning bootloaders into different Atmel chips. Check out Designing your custom Arduino board - My various projects

Mike

Thank you guys for the link and explanation! Now I see that Arduino IDE uses the programmer also for burning the bootloader.
Unfortunately I believe I've actually damaged my board in the process, because the only thing I get out is this error message, no matter which of my 328-PU chips I try:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I've tried pressing the reset button, re-installing the driver, changing the chips and the cable - all I get is the same error message.

Any thoughts on what's causing this error after experimenting with burning bootloaders?

Some possibilities:

Bad connection: cable, USB-to-Serial, wiring to Serial pins. Try the loopback tests.

Bad settings: Different boards use different bootloaders and different baud rates.

Hi there, mmmh, loop-back test seems to be working fine. So nothing wrong with the connection.

M0rph:
Hi there, mmmh, loop-back test seems to be working fine. So nothing wrong with the connection.

That leaves:
Bad bootloader.
Bad auto reset or bad timing on manual reset.
Previous sketch flooding the USB buffers (which would show as the TX light flickering).

Try holding down the reset button, clicking on the Upload button, and releasing the Reset button when you see the RX light blink. If that fails, re-burn the bootloader. Make sure the Tools->Boards you select when uploading is the same one you select when you burn the bootloader.

Thank you for the support!

I've tried it as you suggested. The reset button method did not yield any success and the attempt to burn the bootloader onto the chip produced this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xfe

The peculiar thing is that I've changed the microprocessor in the board three times now. So I guess it's a problem with the board hardware. Maybe I broke the reset circuitry while trying to set up the Arduino as ISP?

My Arduino Duemilanove seems to work fine if I select the Arduino UNO board in the menu! I can only assume that the configuration file for the Duemilanove was changed?