Button to start motor

jw3times: I drew a picture, but honestly I think that this is clearer...

I don't. A schematic is always clearer, and would also avoid us having to go and look up the transistor to find out which pin is which. It would clearly show the base, collector and emitter, the polarity of the diode, the value of the resistor, which terminals on the Sparkfun board that the breadboard is connected to, etc etc

This new convention of photos and Fritzing pics replacing schematics is crap. They should "accompany" a schematic, not replace it. There's a reason most of us use actual schematics. They convey much more information. Without a search of the Sparkfun site, I don't even know which transistor that is, to look at it's datasheet. (And that's assuming you use the same one that they do, and exactly the same motor. You still haven't verified this)

You already said that you use different connections than the Sparkfun layout, saying:- "Only exception is I have wires connecting 5V to the + and GND to the -." What does this mean exactly?

So we're still left guessing, and something that should have taken 5 minutes to sort out is dragging into days.....

Hi,

Have you tried connecting the resistor which connects to the base of the transistor directly to VCC and ND of your power supply ? That should turn on or off your transistor. (DO NOT connect the actual base of the transistor to 5v, make sure to connect the base via the base resistor).

Until you have identified your issue, I would put the Arduino aside and I'd suggest to play it safe and drive the transistor by connecting its base resistor to GND or 5V.

dan

dsauriol: Hi, Have you tried connecting the resistor which connects to the base of the transistor directly to VCC and ND of your power supply ? That should turn on or off your transistor. (DO NOT connect the actual base of the transistor to 5v, make sure to connect the base via the base resistor).

That's a good idea. No need to connect to GND to turn it off though. Just +5V to turn it on. It'll turn off when the 5V is removed.

I was just waiting for more info. ie Verification of the transistor type, so we could double-check that that's actually the base, and that the motor is the same one used by Sparkfun. I'm rather tired of people not providing the information they're asked for. :) There's nothing like a good, clear schematic diagram. Also I still don't particularly like the idea of powering a motor from the Arduino board, even a small motor. Startup current surge can be too high, causing problems.

I think you have a PNP transistor instead of NPN, that would explain the on/off problem, also resistor looks like 10k (brown-black-orange) which is too high, 1.5k would be better.

outsider: I think you have a PNP transistor instead of NPN, that would explain the on/off problem, also resistor looks like 10k (brown-black-orange) which is too high, 1.5k would be better.

I thought it looked like 10K, but my eyes aren't real good so I wasn't sure. And that's another reason I asked for a labelled schematic - I suspected the transistor might not be suitable. PNP is definitely not suitable for that circuit.