Button to trigger an action in iOS App

Hi, I’m an iOS app developer looking into my first Arduino project.

I’ve seen a lot of tutorials showing how (theoretically) to control Arduino from an app, but I’d like to do the opposite:

I want to push a physical button hooked to an Arduino to trigger something simple in my iOS app (like show a simple message).

I’ve found a tutorial here for using a button:

but I need help with the setup for communicating to the iOS device.

Would a wifi/bluetooth shield approach be the way to go, and do you have any advice on how I should do it?

Thanks in advance!

I've seen a lot of tutorials showing how (theoretically) to control Arduino from an app, but I'd like to do the opposite:

Have you actually tried any of those tutorials? It seems to me that studying the hardware and sketch would answer all of your questions.

redbeef88: Hi, I'm an iOS app developer looking into my first Arduino project.

I've seen a lot of tutorials showing how (theoretically) to control Arduino from an app, but I'd like to do the opposite:

I want to push a physical button hooked to an Arduino to trigger something simple in my iOS app (like show a simple message).

I've found a tutorial here for using a button: http://www.raywenderlich.com/32392/arduino-tutorial-for-complete-beginners-using-a-button but I need help with the setup for communicating to the iOS device.

Would a wifi/bluetooth shield approach be the way to go, and do you have any advice on how I should do it?

Thanks in advance!

I'd say WiFi would do it. That way you can communicate to a web service which could then serve up data/commands and/or push notifications to your app. Push notifications with a data payload would be best as it can wake the app even when not running.

Cycoder, is there any way to do this by Bluetooth? and do you have any website, forums, or tutorials which they explain how to do it by WiFi? Thanks