buy Nano v3 versus Pro Mini

I bought a Nano v3 clone with the CH340 USB chip and a Pro Mini.

Both are 5V versions, 16 MHz, ATmega328P.

Looking at the comparison, the only difference appears to be USB.

What am I missing?

the only difference appears to be USB.

that's about right. Slightly different pinout (more inline pins on the Nano, right?)
Pro Mini's used to be significantly cheaper than Nanos. The Chinese variants/clones, not so much.

Thank you for confirming.

Yes, more inline pins on the Nano. And it was $3.50 for the Nano versus $2.50 for the Pro Mini from a USA seller.

I'd say it was worth the difference. For development work, it fits neatly into a solderless breadboard (or stripboard or perfboard) and is conveniently powered by the USB, so that is what I am using for my playing at present. Actual UNOs are largely restricted to using "shields" (do not fit breadboard).

Now if you want to embed a controller permanently into something that does not use USB (or require frequent software upload), then you want the Pro Mini.

Either way, when you have a permanent application, it is terribly convenient to have either of these soldered into a stripboard or custom PCB - cheaper, saves a lot of tricky design and component sourcing.

Now that I have "discovered" the Nano, I really love it.

I will save the Pro Mini that I bought for that special yet-to-be-determined project.

Concur with Paul__B: Nano is great on the breadboard for quick prototyping and development. Mini is more designed for permanent installs. The Mini's lack of USB circuitry means you can (with careful programming) get lower power consumption in sleep modes which may be important if you hope to operate off batteries or solar.

I've recently discovered that 3v3 versions of the Pro Mini are now available for the same price as 5v ones (there used to be a 50-100% price premium). Nice if you are dealing with the cool new peripherals that are increasingly 3v3 only.

The 5V voltage regulator on the Nano can source up to 500mA, so it is more than enough for many projects.

ieee488:
Now that I have "discovered" the Nano, I really love it.

It is my second favorite Arduino. :slight_smile:

So what supplier have people had good results with for buying a number of the Nano's ?

www.gravitech.us

AlxDroidDev:
The 5V voltage regulator on the Nano can source up to 500mA, so it is more than enough for many projects.

With forced fluid cooling of course. :grinning:

Paul__B:

Reminds me of the old Signetics Write Only Memory:
Signetics Write Only Memory

Thanks for the gravitech.us link

www.gravitech.us

I find the (original!) gravitech Nanos to be somewhat dramatically overpriced (40% more than an Uno, for essentially similar components and a smaller PCB (double sided construction, which does add manufacturing cost...) And it's not clear whether Gravitech has been a particularly useful contributor to the Arduino Community. If I'm going to pay "full price", I'd rather get an Arduino Micro (Adafruit/Arduino) Or a Teensy (Paul Stoffregen) (or, as I implied in respond 1, reconsider the "Pro mini plus adapter cable" approach.)

Paul__B:

lol. its true. taking into account the copper pour would be lucky to get even half that. i specially have to laugh at the ebay 1a specs for ams1117 parts. unlikely even with liquid helium. those poor bonding wires. amazing how many gullible hobbyists think they dont even need a heat sink.

speaking of gullible. the "more money than brains" industry is one of the biggest cash crops here in usa. always surprising how many willing to pay 500%-1000% markup in the interest of "quality" or misplaced sense of patriotism. little do they realize those sellers buy from the same ebay/ali sources as bargain hunters like me. several hundred promini and recently few digispark & nano with not a single reliability or performance issue so far. and ive yet to pay even $2.

go sparkfun! go digikey! go gravitech!

john1993:
lol. its true. taking into account the copper pour would be lucky to get even half that. i specially have to laugh at the ebay 1a specs for ams1117 parts. unlikely even with liquid helium. those poor bonding wires. amazing how many gullible hobbyists think they dont even need a heat sink.

speaking of gullible. the "more money than brains" industry is one of the biggest cash crops here in usa. always surprising how many willing to pay 500%-1000% markup in the interest of "quality" or misplaced sense of patriotism. little do they realize those sellers buy from the same ebay/ali sources as bargain hunters like me. several hundred promini and recently few digispark & nano with not a single reliability or performance issue so far. and ive yet to pay even $2.

All the 4 Nanos I have feature a UA78M05, which has an output current up to 500mA. That IC is also what is stated in the 2.0 and 3.0 schematics.

AlxDroidDev:
All the 4 Nanos I have feature a UA78M05, which has an output current up to 500mA. That IC is also what is stated in the 2.0 and 3.0 schematics.

Uh. oh. My clone Nano has the AMS1117.

Look at how little ground pad is under the tab of the regulator, on the right - no way one is getting 500mA out of that if more than say 7.5V are input and no additional heat sink is added.

ieee488:
Uh. oh. My clone Nano has the AMS1117.

i think you and crossroads can relax. that is enough to power a dozen arduino boards and still some left over for power hungry esp8266 or led display. ebay specs aside there is no significant difference between 78m05, lm1117, ams117, and a dozen other similar regulator chips. its the package, heatsink, but most of all, as bob-duino hints, voltage drop.

also interesting to note that 1117 is often referred to as LDO when in fact not even close. calling it "hybrid" is still pushing the truth. its barely capable of converting 5v to 3.3v.